RECIPES

Monday 16 March 2020

A Dead Mouse


It was a quiet normal everyday morning, doing a bit of housework and cleaning up here and there.  I picked up the sheepskin rug on my floor to shake it, and let out a screech loud enough to bring son running.

There, under the rug, was a squashed dead mouse – not only that, there were THINGS crawling around it and over it.  Ugh!  Double ugh, actually.  It was revolting and freaked me out a bit, especially the thought that it was probably squashed because I had probably walked on it. 

I am so glad I have a son who is not squeamish, and he cleaned it all up for me.  The sheepskin has been washed and is now sitting outside starting to dry, which I know from experience will take several days.

An hibiscus flower giving a last taste of summer

The weather today is decidedly autumnal.  We had fog first thing and that has lifted to 100% cloud cover.  There is no sun, no rain, no wind, but it is still comfortably warm so no problems.

I never let the mouse ruin my morning though, and have cooked both Savoury Mince and Beef Stew.  We will have some of the stew with veggies for our dinner tonight.  The remaining stew and the mince will be frozen so we can have some ready-made meals in the freezer.

Belladonna Lilies, also called Naked Ladies because the flowers arrive before the foliage

I have also been on the phone rather a lot this morning, or so it seems.  It is nice to catch up with people though, and hear all the latest gossip about what is happening in their lives.

Hoheria populnea, or Lacebark, is a native New Zealand tree

The flowers are all ones that I have seen flowering at this time of the year.  Autumn is arriving!

Margaret.

19 comments:

  1. Eek for the mouse. Hope it was alone!!
    Our weather has suddenly turned from beach weather to high winds and snow in the north. Fickle march.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Spring might arrive here this week according to the weather forecast...........and about time too

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like autumn, but it means we are heading into winter. I only hope it will not be as miserable and dreary as you have had to put up with this year. Enjoy your spring :)

      Delete
  3. Hard to believe while you are heading into winter, we are heading into summer. I am so ready for spring and seeing the trees green again. Like you, knowing I had probably stepped on the mouse would have been what freaked me out. :) Your flowers are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm a little envious of you heading into warmth :)

      Delete
  4. At least the mouse didn't make its way into the stew!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Indeed, very beautiful flowers in NZ...love them, they are sooo different from ours.Here, weather is cloudy with high rate of humidity… around 30°..We are half confined due to corona virus..ugghhhhh Keep showing us pics of your beautiful island. Regards

    ReplyDelete
  6. Our grand-dog came in the house one day with a mouse protruding from her mouth. Any mouse encounters scare me.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm not particularly squeamish about things like dead mice but I have to say that if I'd been in your shoes I'd certainly have been less than overjoyed by the find. I remember the first time I saw these strange plants with no apparent leaves: naked ladies. I was driving to The Cottage near Napier.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Naked Ladies is such a funny name for these lovely flowers. The flowers appear ahead of the leaves and I think that is why these bulbs have been given this common name.

      Delete
  8. Oh. Ewww. Oh!!!!
    (Sorry LOL, too).

    If Hubby´d told me what I may find in Australia I would´ve stayed put in Germany!

    "Belladonna Lilies", that is a very beautiful name!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. As I read your account of the dead mouse I had one hand over my mouth just thinking about how you must have reacted. Who would think that a mouse would be somehow 'caught' under there!!
    We're finally having nicer weather here. I'm about to go out and putter around and get my vitamin D.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I bet the mouse was a gift from your Mittens! Ours brought in a bird one time, I was sleeping late on the weekend and heard husband running the vacuum. I thought 'he must want me to get up!' I got up and came in here, and he was just finishing up with feathers. He said they were everywhere!

    That hibiscus is gorgeous as are the Naked Ladies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, we are thinking it was probably Mittens bringing some choice gift to give me so I can have a great day :)

      Delete
  11. Hasn't it been so much cooler? Much nicer, bit warm at night still but way easier to deal with.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like this temperature now. Warm enough not to shiver, but not so hot that I cannot sleep.

      Delete
  12. Happy Autumn to you! I love your flowers... but I don't like mice, dead or alive, either!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Autumn is my favourite season. I have never been that keen on rodents, which is why I have difficulty relating to my son's pet rats. But at least they don't get underneath my floor rug!!

      Delete

Thank-you for visiting my blog. I love it when you leave a comment so please feel free to have your say. Have a great day! Margaret xx