RECIPES

Friday 27 March 2020

Autumn


We are now a week past the autumnal equinox (20 March in NZ) and autumn has most definitely arrived.

Late autumn splendour on the farm

The nights are much cooler and some places further south have even had light frosts.  The days are no longer swelteringly hot, but pleasantly warm.  The mellow warmth of autumn is what makes this one of my favourite seasons.

Hamilton city has a very temperate climate so we do not get as much autumn colour as places further south do. 


A lone spot of autumn colour

Birds are now more in evidence again.  Their summer moult is finished, they have no nestlings to care for, now is a time to fatten up before winter cold arrives.

Can you see the thrush who had been eating these berries?

The garden is returning to life after struggling with drought conditions for the last few months.

An autumnal display on Napier's Marine Parade

Autumn harvest is also beginning.

Crab apples ready for picking

When we lived in the country I loved the misty atmosphere of autumn mornings.

Early morning, south of Te Awamutu

Autumn is also the time for cleaning up things before winter, the time for autumn fires in the garden and out on the land.

Clearing tree rubbish on the farm

I am trying to learn to appreciate each season as it happens, instead of my usual complaining about it being too hot or too cold.  This morning we had some rain to water the earth and I am doing my best to look for beauty and be thankful.  The cloud is breaking up now and the sun is peeping through – and I am finding it much easier to be thankful!


Enjoy every day as it unfolds,
Margaret. 


LINKED TO Skywatch Friday

23 comments:

  1. Margaret, these are amazing views of Autumn. I have only experienced Autumn once in Taipei but the leaves don't change color there. Someday I would really love to see trees of red of gold of orange and or yellow just like you showed to us all. And those apples remind me of 'Gala Apples' as it's called here. Those are one of the two NZ fruits that are famous here, aside from Kiwis :)

    Stay Safe and God bless you! Happy Friday!

    Stevenson
    Cavite Daily Photo
    Stevenson Que Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Autumn is a lovely season. The apples I show are called crab apples - they are very small, about the size of a small plum or even smaller. They are also incredibly sour but can be used to make a really nice tart jelly. Stay safe :) xx

      Delete
  2. Some seasons are easier to appreciate than others. Autumn is my favourite. Too bad it's followed by Winter.
    I did see the thrush in the shrubs ( after I enlarged the photo).
    Those Crab apples look lovely. My Mom used to can Crab apples in a slightly spicy syrup.
    Stay well, GM

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The thrush is so well camouflaged, isn't it? Yes, it is a pity autumn is followed by winter! I must make special effort to enjoy winter this time round LOL. We usually use crab apples to make a tart jelly, but what your mom made sounds good. Keep well, Mxx

      Delete
  3. I particularly love that top photo.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Life is so much nicer when the sun is shining,but you're not suffering because of it! We have winter again, days of rain and wind. Good for the garden though. When the sun shines again I'll do some gardening

    ReplyDelete
  5. It looks real pastoral. Beautiful views.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's a perfect time of year, so many harvest, the colours everywhere. We are heading towards summer, it's going to be very different this year.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Each season has its charm - and at times its challenges I suppose - but I am quite sure that as we get older we appreciate them more. It is perhaps in recognition that we have so many fewer left to savour.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now you are making me feel old, as I fear you may be right! :))

      Delete
  8. Light frosts in Autumn? Eeek.
    Indeed, the trees just turn yellow, "boring"! But the garden sure is beautiful, as is fog. At times on my drive to work I stopped and took pics of it.

    Great advise to enjoy every day! Ixx

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like Fall, the colors are so beautiful! Stay safe!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful photos of your beautiful countryside. Thanks for a little break from otherwise depressing news. Have a healthy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I arrived at the photo of Napier and, without reading thought how like Napier parts of Hamilton are. Then I realised it really was Napier. So you've obviously been down for a tiki tour at some time. Makes me quite nostalgic.

    There is always something to enable you to play The Glad Game.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When we lived in our caravan we actually spent four months living in Napier and Hastings. Really great place to be. I'd like to go back for a holiday again at some stage.

      Delete
  12. I love the first photo! Autumn at its best.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh, I so love that first photo and the one next to last. You seldom hear me complain about autumn. Except I want it to be slow and long! I get frustrated with myself because I am always wishing for different weather. The one that really gets to me is days on end of dark, cloudy days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dreary weather like that drags me down as well. I must try and find something nice in it this winter :)

      Delete
  14. I am just loving the cooler temperatures, it's much easier to sleep at night.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed Amy. I even have a blanket on the bed now :)

      Delete
  15. Your surroundings are lovely. I visited cousins in Auckland a few years ago, and toured the North Island up as far as Cape Reinga.... so gorgeous! I would love to visit again, but.... well, I think it will be a while before we will all be able to do any visiting! Stay safe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It might be quite a while before any of us can travel again. Keep well :)

      Delete

Thank-you for visiting my blog. I love it when you leave a comment so please feel free to have your say. Have a great day! Margaret xx