RECIPES

Wednesday 18 March 2020

Gold Mining Village


Throughout New Zealand are dotted the remnants of early settlements and one of these is Ross, a former gold mining settlement on the West Coast.  Their biggest claim to fame is the discovery of New Zealand’s largest gold nugget (a massive 3.1kg) in 1909.  I visited here in May 2019.

The collection of sphagnum moss, beef and sheep farms, timber milling and the production of lime have all been carried out in this area.  Today the main source of income is tourism, with a Heritage Village to visit, walks to make, and the opportunity to pan for gold (unfortunately this was shut the day I visited). 


The West Coast Wilderness Cycle Trail passes through Ross and this frame makes a great place to stop for a photo opportunity.


I spent an hour wandering around the Heritage Village, including visiting this old gold-mining cottage.


Over the road is situated St Patrick’s Catholic Church, one of the oldest in New Zealand.  It was opened on 21 October 1866 and is still used for mass every two weeks.




Buildings up and down the street were old but mostly still in use, like the Empire Hotel in this picture.


The owner of this place has covered the fence with number-plates off different vehicles.


I drove out to the coast before continuing my journey south, and spent a short while at Ross Beach.  I love these lonely wild windswept beaches with their rocks, driftwood and crashing waves.  They appeal to the Wild Child inside me!


Thank-you everybody for all your comments yesterday.  These are unusual times our world is going through at the moment and it is hurting a lot of people in one way or another.

Today we have beautiful autumnal sunshine with a light breeze.  I can hear machinery working in the distance and there are still a few cicadas singing their song.  It is the kind of warm mellow day that makes one feel decidedly lazy J

Stay safe and keep well,
Margaret.


LINKING UP WITH My Corner of the World






16 comments:

  1. I've always enjoyed touring old towns and villages. It's great to read about how people lived. Thanks for taking me on this mini tour.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for more mighty photos. My grandmother was born in a gold mining settlement down there called Merrijigs. It is now no more than an infrequently noted dot on the map. I would love to visit that wind swept coast once more

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I found Merrijigs on a topo map in the Reefton area. It certainly is way out in the middle of nowhere :)

      Delete
  3. I so enjoy places like this with their history. I'm glad you shared your trip with us :)

    Thanks for your contribution to 'My Corner of the World' this week!

    My Corner of the World

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank-you Betty for setting up somewhere I can share some of our beautiful country with others :)

      Delete
  4. I am seeing a lot of New Zealand on your blog, Margaret. That beach looks fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope that means you have been enjoying the virtual touring! New Zealand is only a small place when compared with other countries, but we seem to manage to pack a lot of different scenery types into it :)

      Delete
  5. Hmmm. 3.1 kg. My Brother is (also) a goldsmith. Now that would make some fun stuff!
    And that cottage - would we love to see the inside - do you have pics?
    We all should be a Wild Child throughout our lives, I agree!!
    Hubby went to work today. We need to go on. Safely.


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There was not a lot inside the cottage and my photos were quite dark so I never used them.
      Your brother would definitely have had fun with that nugget :)

      Delete
  6. My memory of Ross was not just the village itself but the rain when we left and were on our way to Hokitika. I had only once before seen such heavy rain: in the English Lake District 60 or so years ago.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The rain on that coast can be horrific. They don't call it the Wet West Coast for nothing, but thankfully I only experienced 'normal' rain when I visited.
      I have been in heavy rain in the Waikato - it is like the heavens open and a bucket of water is poured out. We always called such events cloud-bursts because that is what appeared to happen.

      Delete
  7. You day sounds perfect, Margaret. That west coast area sounds like a great place to visit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It has a very rugged beauty Marie - and it pays to take a raincoat with you!

      Delete
  8. Oh, the picture those last lines paint...they make me want to be there now. I LOVE autumn. And love that church...there is just something about a small church that appeals to my heart. As for the beach, I would love to have some of the rocks from there. And can see loving beaches like that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is something about old churches, especially smaller ones, that makes them great to visit.
      Oh, those rocks LOL. I confess I did bring some home in the boot of my car!

      Delete

Thank-you for visiting my blog. I love it when you leave a comment so please feel free to have your say. Have a great day! Margaret xx