RECIPES

Friday 6 March 2020

Making Changes


We have had a decided change in our weather today, with overnight temperatures dropping to 12 degrees Celsius.  Today is mostly sunny but there is a pleasant coolness to the breeze – autumn is coming!

What I wonder about, is how did the pet rats know?  Last evening, before the temperatures dropped, the both of them were busy shredding the newspaper on the floor of their cage before carrying it up to a top corner and making a ‘nest’ with it.  This morning we found them fast asleep beneath their pile of paper, cuddled up together for warmth.  Animal instinct never ceases to amaze me.

An autumnal sunset scene

Son and I cleared everything out of the laundry today.  We are reorganizing the room in an effort to make it more workable.  The upright freezer has been in this room, blocking access to the laundry tub and taps, so we have now moved it outside into the garage where the chest freezer already lives.

Starting to empty and defrost the freezer

The freezer needed to be emptied first and I took the opportunity to defrost it.  I place a bowl of near-boiling water in the freezer to help this process along, and use a freezer-scraper to help dislodge the ice that seems to accumulate around the pipes. 

Not everything made it back into the freezer.  I found one package labelled 2014 (shock, horror!!).  Another couple of things found were rather ancient and suffering freezer-burn of their contents, so they have also been disposed of.  I need to get back into keeping a freezer book so this sort of waste does not occur again.

Moved, sorted, cleaned - the freezer in its new home

I am very thankful that son is much like his father was, and enjoys being a home handyman.  The microwave has been moved to a strengthened shelf (no room for it in our tiny kitchen), and my next job is to organize the shelf where our cleaning and laundry products live.

Son has made a new shelf – it is too high for me to reach easily, but it will be great for storing things like extra toilet paper.  For around forty years now I have made sure we have extra toilet paper on hand, as we ran out once when the manufacturing staff went on strike (thankfully my mother had extra).

I mention this because it is being reported that Australian supermarkets are running out of toilet paper as there has been such a rush on buying it because of the COVID-19 threat.

Would you know what to do if you ran out of this rather essential item?
Margaret.





15 comments:

  1. I gather that some Auckland supermarkets have also been running out of toilet paper.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I need to clean out the freezer too. I’ve tried writing down what’s in it but it doesn’t work for me. I can’t be consistent with it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The first photo is a pretty one, and your laundry looks neat and tidy! I went grocery shopping today and was surprised to see TP was pretty much sold out!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I always keep quite a supply of toilet paper. What is funny, I had never did that till probably started in 2017, and then in 2018, I fell and had 3 breaks, and had complications where I was off my feet for much longer than normal. I could not drive, and Roger not really safe to drive. I was so glad I had it.

    Also, if you have a blow dryer for your hair, that can really come in handy to defrost a freezer. (or thaw a frozen water line.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A hair dryer sounds like a great idea. I'll have to try it next time.

      Delete
  5. Ohhh, are there pics of your rats? Clever guys they are for sure!
    Yah. Defrosting, just did that 3 weeks ago. Ours looked much worse... and, yes, some stuff went into the bin. How can the years slip by so fast?!
    A freezer book is a great idea!!!

    OH! Toilet paper-strike! Help! We also have a shelf for extra that I only reach tip-toeing.
    In case... oh, my! Here we ran out of desinfectant.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hand sanitizer is another thing that is becoming hard to find, and tonight we hear that our most common painkiller (paracetamol) is made in China and imports are not happening at the moment so that will be another rush in the shops.

      Delete
  6. Good on you for cleaning the freezer and making necessary changes. Your son is a good old kiwi handy man!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I haven't noticed any panic-buying of TP or other products here. I have always been the kind of person who has to have "back up" of all essentials so we could probably go 3 months without having to buy any.
    Defrosting the freezer is always a big job I don't look forward to. We have a chest freezer inside and another outside which we share with son and family. Both get defrosted each summer.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I always keep loads of toilet rolls, at least 4 spare in both bathrooms, and another big pack in store, and there is only 2 of us. Daughter will pop one in her bag if she is getting low. Our supermarket here in UK are still looking good, but we do not live in a big town or city.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello, pretty skywatch! You are blessed with a son who likes to help, my son like to be a handyman too. Hubby like to stock up the pantry and paper goods. Enjoy your day, wishing you a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  10. A freezer book sounds like a great idea. I once read that many people ultimately throw out so much old stuff that it eliminates any savings from bulk buying, and of course there is the cost of the energy to run the machine.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Getting organized is something I really appreciate! We went shopping yesterday at Pac N Save and there is a 2 pkg limit on TP! I still don't know how TP relates to a flu virus!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I keep a list on the fridge of what is in the deep freeze and what is in the fridge freezer. It helps me keep organized and to be less wasteful!

    Yes TP buying is nuts...if I ran out I would make some wipes out of old towels and wash them...recycle!

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you for visiting my blog. I love it when you leave a comment so please feel free to have your say. Have a great day! Margaret xx