RECIPES

Tuesday 17 March 2020

Time To Self Isolate?


At 2 o’clock this afternoon New Zealand’s finance minister announced a $12.1 billion package to help our country survive the Covid-19 pandemic and the recession it is creating.  The minister said, “There are tough times ahead but we will get through this together.”

In their three year term of office the current government has weathered the Christchurch mosque terrorism attack and the White Island volcanic eruption tragedy, and now they are facing this pandemic crisis in election year.  Not an easy time for any political party.

Kairakau Beach

Being a pensioner I will welcome the extra boost to my benefit (part of the Package) as it means I will be able to help my son a bit more in the way of buying food and other essential supplies.  His work (he works from home already) is so far looking stable, but one cannot tell what the future will bring.

Otamarakau

For quite a while it was my belief that governments appeared to be over-reacting to this viral threat.  Now I understand better – all these restrictions are not to PREVENT Covid-19, they are to SLOW DOWN the transmission of the virus so that health systems can better cope with the increased influx of patients.  They are designed to spread out the time period of infection – I believe it is referred to as “flattening the curve” or some such terminology.


Any virus that appears on this earth is here to stay, and many times they mutate into different variants.  At some stage it is inevitable that the majority of people will come into contact with Covid-19, and there is definite risk for elderly folk and those with health issues as their immune systems are not as strong.  Unfortunately it is going to cause deaths, as do other viruses and diseases (look at the huge increase of dengue fever in South America at the moment), and even if a vaccine is found it will not save everybody.

Gore Bay

Having had serious respiratory issues in the past and being at the cusp of a “certain age” I could reasonably be called one of the vulnerable at risk of having complications from a viral infection.  I am not afraid of contracting an illness – we all have to die sometime, it is part of living – but I do wish to be sensible in the decisions I make in my life.

Whangamata

After visiting the supermarket this morning and seeing how fearful and panicky so many people still are I have decided there is no harm in putting myself into semi-isolation.  If we are, as was stated on TV, at the same stage now as Italy was three weeks ago, then there will be no harm in restricting my contact with the public for a few weeks. 

Papamoa

I had no idea what photos to use to accompany this post, but wanted something that was a little more cheerful than the topic, so I hope you have enjoyed these pictures of coastal scenes around our little country.

Margaret.


14 comments:

  1. I just read about the situation in Italy. It is scary....sounds like they are overwhelmed. So sad. What ever we can do to flatten the curve is good. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post and I love those pictures you posted. I would love to be at a beach in a chair with coffee and a book and stay self isolated for a long time with sound of the ocean and a breeze. I would have to come back inside to watch the Broken wood mysteries though. Love that show. Stay well, Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your photos, the last one especially appeals to me. My house is on the Pacific coast, in California. I am a senior and am self isolating, for a week now. Be well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the beach photos. They make me happy!
    Greece has closed down and new virus cases yesterday were not as many. Of course we don't know what will happen in the next few days.
    Our isolation is still just a few days but so far so good. The weather has got much colder so today at least it is easier to stay inside

    ReplyDelete
  5. At least the NZ Government is doing something proactive to flatten the curve. I despair of our government who seem to be contradicting all the advice and experience from WHO and the countries who have had'have this. Their idea is to go for 'Herd Immmunity' and just let everyone catch it which of course will mean that our already under pressure health service will not be able to cope. It is indeed a worry. I'm certainly self isolating from now on in.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your post is an echo to mine, it's hard to understand what is happening, it's like a sick horror movie, but real. Here in UK, we are told we are 3 weeks behind Italy, I will only go out once a week for shopping, we have a good store cupboard (saved for Brexit). Stay safe...........

    ReplyDelete
  7. Stay well during this awful time. The best that any of us can do is to listen to, and obey, our public health officials. As for your Prime Minister, I know little of New Zealand politics, but based on what I have seen of her on television, especially in the aftermath of the mosque tragedy, she earned my admiration. That's a lot more than I can say for most politicians.

    ReplyDelete
  8. My respect to your politicians!
    Wish our(s) would... aw, well... "Merkel" :-(

    Yes, mutation is what I worry about, too.

    We´re coughing our heads off, but I hope it´s just the common thing you get come spring...

    The pics are very cheerful, I love especially the one with the bench!
    To health!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you for the lovely beach photos, good to see something nice in these hard days. In Norway schools, restaurants, all business that includes close contact with people and almost everything is closed down. Also here they hope to flattening the curve with the restrictions they do. We stay home and avoids contact with others as much as possible. My husband and I live a quiet life also normally, so it is not too different for us. But it is scary with this disease.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The beach pictures are so pretty. Would love to be on the beach. Scary times right now. Appreciate your post.

    ReplyDelete
  11. We also live quiet lives so this self-isolating is not ( so far) a hardship. We have everything we need right here and although the menu might end up being a little monotonous we won't starve. Several grocery stores here have announced they'll open an hour earlier than usual and this hour will be only for the elderly and immune-compromised to shop. We'll see if we'll need to make use of this option.
    Meanwhile, since the sun is shining, we've begun a project in the back yard that will keep us occupied for a while. Keep safe and well.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your beach photos are spectacular. Such a beautiful country.

    Take care, Margaret. We are in isolation here too.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I did enjoy seeing your photographs, all good choices.
    Stay safe and well.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  14. I did enjoy the photos...always love seeing your world. Roger is definitely in the category that needs to not be exposed. It is hard to explain how I feel about this virus...I am concerned about it. The way people are reacting and buying everything in sight scares me more than it.

    I always stock up on certain things...not a huge stock. I will get maybe 5 lb of ground beef and divide it and freeze it, and I will buy cubed steak when they are on sale. Well, I ran out of both last week...ran into the grocery this morn early. I like 80-85% lean hamburger and there was none. And guy in charge of the meat dept told me he buy it from 3 distributors and none of them had it and he did not know when he would get any. He said people were getting mad at him. And nothing he could do. And was just talking about how people were acting.

    The other guy went and made me up a big package of 90% lean. I thanked him and went on...maybe I will regret not buying everything in sight.

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you for visiting my blog. I love it when you leave a comment so please feel free to have your say. Have a great day! Margaret xx

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.