RECIPES

Sunday 22 March 2020

Watching The Hobbit


What better way to spend a quiet Sunday afternoon than watching the extended version of The Hobbit. 

I have actually never sat down and watched The Hobbit series before, although I enjoyed the Lord Of The Rings series.  So far I have watched the first movie, An Unexpected Journey, and am now half way through the second, The Desolation Of Smaug.

By tonight I will probably have also completed the third and last tale, The Battle of the Five Armies.


I watched the Lord of the Rings movies as they came out in the theatre – after the first one, my children refused to go with me because I laughed too much!  Apparently it is not meant to be funny, but I found parts of it hilarious.

It is the same now with The Hobbit.  I have had several good laughs which apparently I should not have.  But the stories are too over the top to be taken seriously, and therefore I view them as comedies.  Am I strange?

When I saw the last of the LOTR movies I found another woman with the same sense of humour.  We sat in the theatre laughing together at the most inappropriate times – and thoroughly enjoyed ourselves.

I will probably watch the Lord of the Rings again once I finish The Hobbit, as it is years now since I last saw it.  Son has both series in the extended versions as he is a fan of this type of story.


I was so impressed with one speech by Gandelf the wizard that I copied it down.  I thought it was appropriate for our current times:

“Sauron believes that it is only great power that can hold evil in check, but that is not what I’ve found.  I’ve found it is the small things, the everyday deeds of ordinary folk, that keeps the darkness at bay;  it is the simple acts of kindness and love.”

Stay loving and kind to each other, and it will help us survive through this current crisis.
Margaret.

10 comments:

  1. A word Jacinda uses frequently "kindness".

    ReplyDelete
  2. Certainly a good time to watch something very long. I've not read or seen any - they just don't appeal

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have not seen any of the movies, but years ago I read all the Tolkien books and thoroughly enjoyed them. I might do that again. Oops, the library is closed due to COVID-19 so there goes that idea! Better have another Quarantini, my latest drink, Gin and Tonic with a good shot of frustration!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello, I have seen the Lord of the Ring movies but not the Hobbit. I wonder if it is on cable-tv?
    I think we ca all be kind and patient with each other. Take care! Enjoy your day, wishing you a great new week!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I read The Lord of The Rings when I was in my 20s and saw all the films as they were released (they even came to our Island). I read The Hobbit too. I have the DVDs. Despite that I've never seen The Hobbit.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I read the books at school when I was at intermediate but sadly just couldn't get into the movies for some reason.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I know I am the odd one out...have never read nor seen the movies. But the words you wrote down...the simple acts of kindness are so powerful. (When they first came on the TV here, my husband had them so loud, if I had not had company, I would have went and got a hotel! And I am serious. LOL there you have something else to laugh about!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL yes, I did have a laugh - my dad used to do the same and it drove my mother nutty!

      Delete
  8. I need to watch the Hobbit again and the LOTR in their proper order. Gandelf says some wise things, this particular quote being one of them.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I really like that quote too. Those series would be great to watch during this confinement. Great idea thanks.

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you for visiting my blog. I love it when you leave a comment so please feel free to have your say. Have a great day! Margaret xx