RECIPES

Wednesday 11 March 2020

Geothermal Wonders


The city of Rotorua is a popular destination for tourists to New Zealand because of its geothermal wonders. 

Evidence of volcanic activity can be found everywhere, in the city as well as at the more ‘active’ wilderness areas that a person can visit, and is frequently accompanied by noise.  Water bubbles, mud plops, gasses and steam hisses – geothermal activity is not quiet! 

Steam will be more in evidence than anything else, and fumaroles can appear unexpectedly in the most unlikely places (this one is in a public park). 


The smell of sulphur can sometimes be overpowering with its rotten-eggs stench, and has been known to make some people feel decidedly ill.  Deposits, small and large, can often be seen close to where there are fissures in the earth's crust.


There are places where the hot geothermal waters have been harnessed and health benefits can be gained from bathing/sitting in the mineral-rich waters.

But many pools of hot water can be dangerous, often sitting at boiling point and resulting in death for those unfortunate enough to fall into them.  


Hot water streams can also be found, and this can result in amazing sights like this hot water waterfall.


Mud also reaches high temperatures, creating puddles of mud that ‘plop’ and gurgle as the gases rise to the surface and escape into the atmosphere.


Many different colours can also be found in geothermal areas.  The yellow of sulphur is well-known, but other minerals (such as silver, arsenic, antimony etc.) can all cause different colours when they come into contact with oxygen.


Geysers are scattered here and there, although many are not regular in their performance.  One of the most easily seen is Pohutu Geyser, which erupts several times a day and can be classed as the largest geyser in New Zealand.  (This photo was taken in 1972)


Rotorua and the surrounding district are not the only place in New Zealand where these wonders can be seen and experienced, but would be the most well-known.

For those who grow up around geothermal areas these things can be seen as everyday and normal, but for those who don’t they are a fascinating insight into the geology of our world.

Enjoy your day,
Margaret.


Linked to My Corner of the World


10 comments:

  1. This reminds me so much of Yellowstone National Park in the U.S. ( Wyoming, I believe). We've been twice, once in early Spring and again in Fall. Both times were so amazing with all the hotsprings and geysers, etc..
    I can only see 2 of the 7 pictures you posted. I have no idea why.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I might feel a little nervous living there. I too can see only two of the picture.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved taking my greek family to Rotorua. It's always the highlight of the trip. I even live the smell.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Only two of the photos loaded, Margaret.

    I would love to see this area.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've been there many times and loved it every time. Only two of the photos are showing for me too as Marie said. However I've just come from another blog with exactly the same problem so it may be a Google issue.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sorry everyone. I'm not sure what is going on with the photos. I've checked my download folder and they are all present there, and are all showing up for me on my page when I look at it. It is an issue I cannot figure out how to fix.
    If you are checking back here, can you tell me which photos you are seeing?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm going to load the photos again on the next blog. Hopefully they will work this time.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can see the first and the sixth picture.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is really weird. I have uploaded the photos again now, on a new post, so hopefully there will be no issues this time.

      Delete
  9. This is all so interesting...only a couple or three of the pics open for me...but see they are above. I did not get visiting done last night so am late. I am so glad you reposted cause I want to see them all!

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you for visiting my blog. I love it when you leave a comment so please feel free to have your say. Have a great day! Margaret xx