RECIPES

Tuesday 31 March 2020

Raindrops On Roses


It is so easy to get down and depressed about Covid-19, to worry about ourselves and our loved ones and to wonder what life will be like when all this is over.  If you or a loved one have tested positive then this burden is even greater.


It is quite natural and perfectly normal to be concerned over events in our life that we have little or no control over.  But is there a way we can combat our fears and put our minds back on to happier lines?


Do you remember the song that Julie Andrews sang to the children in the movie, The Sound of Music?  The children had been frightened of a thunderstorm and these words were part of the song she sang to comfort them:

RAINDROPS ON ROSES AND WHISKERS ON KITTENS
BRIGHT COPPER KETTLES AND WARM WOOLEN MITTENS
BROWN PAPER PACKAGES TIED UP WITH STRINGS
THESE ARE A FEW OF MY FAVOURITE THINGS

WHEN THE DOG BITES, WHEN THE BEE STINGS
WHEN I’M FEELING SAD
I SIMPLY REMEMBER MY FAVOURITE THINGS
AND THEN I DON’T FEEL SO BAD




What favourite things do you have that give you warm fuzzies and happy feelings when you encounter them?  They might be photos, music, hearing birds singing, sitting in the sunshine, or one hundred and one other things. 


Thinking about things we love takes our mind off our fears.  It is good, therefore, to take some time out, to slow down, to ponder on things we love and to remember happy times.

On my Facebook page I have begun posting a “happy” picture every day.  I got this idea from one of my sisters-in-law who posted a picture of a beach and suggested we all did the same, so that we could combat some of the negative things being said.


I am posting some pictures today that I intend to share on Facebook over the coming few days.  I hope they will remind you of joyful times in your own life and help to put more smiles on your face.


Remember to tell your family how much you love and appreciate them.  
Spread the happiness J

Margaret.


26 comments:

  1. Your photos are lovely! I have been posting photos of flowers on facebook....something besides the COVID stuff. You are right we should all think about positive fun things!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Being cheerful seems to make things so much easier :)

      Delete
  2. Warm fuzzies...hmmm rainy days, sunshine in Spring, Autumn colours, spring flowers, a good movie. how's that?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely photos.
    I am grateful that we live on a small island where do far everyone is safe and that includes my grandchildren.
    Being in touch with family down under brings me great delight. Photos and news come in daily

    ReplyDelete
  4. There are so many things in life to be thankful for, COVID-19 is a mere blip. A tradition has started here of banging pots and pans at 7:00 or 7:30 pm in support of essential workers, and it has caught on in our neighbourhood. It is great to see the solidarity and we take part in it, but I am glad that I don't have a baby I just out down to sleep!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have heard of places doing this - and I definitely wouldn't want to be putting a baby down to sleep at that time! :)
      We have several family members in essential services of different kinds and I am thankful for each one of them and what they do.

      Delete
  5. I find listening to music is my best 'pick me up'... and chocolate ice cream! lol I'm also feeling so thankful that our son Steve seems to be finally on the road to recovery after weeks of illness. Fingers crossed ... cos last time I said that he ended up back in hospital for the third time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been watching your progress with Steve, he has certainly had a rough road but is hopefully now on the mend. I would have been eating so much chocolate ice cream worrying about him! :)

      Delete
  6. Hello, I do love this song from the Sound of Music. Pretty scenes from happy times. Beautiful photos. Wishing you a happy healthy new week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Keep smiling Eileen :)
      I hope you have a happy healthy week as well.

      Delete
  7. Wonderful words and ideas, Margaret. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are welcome Marie! Stay safe and enjoy your thaw :)

      Delete
  8. Wise words. I was spending hours on the phone yesterday with my Brother and my oldest Niece (9 years old) - it was soooo good. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so thankful we have technology to help us stay in touch with each other :)

      Delete
  9. Margeret! That mountainside landscape sure is so beautiful! I love the title of this post, when I saw it on my blog list and clicked it, I was singing in the tune of Favorite Things and there you have the lyrics! Love that song, me and my Mom used to sing it together when she was still alive.

    Stay Safe and keep happy :)

    Stevenson

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I cheated a little bit! The mountain landscape is not in New Zealand - I took that photo when we visited Zion National Park in Utah, USA. It was a beautiful place and I smile every time I remember it.
      That song is a wonderful way to connect you to precious happy memories of your mother.
      Stay happy :) xx

      Delete
  10. What a lovely, cheerful and uplifting post this is Margaret, thank you.

    Stay safe, happy and positive … never has that been more important.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree Jan - it is so important at this time that we focus on good things. Stay happy and keep smiling, Mxx

      Delete
  11. A lovely positive post, Margaret, and much appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Just seeing more of your world always lights up a little part of my world. Right now it is sort of anxious time. Both of our daughters are buy new homes and moving. The one that lives 20 minutes away will be over an hour away. And the one that lives 4 hours away will be transferring to the city that her sister is moving to. Will be about 5 minutes from each other. Just kind of a stressful time. But they are excited...and the daughter that lives near me wants us to move with them. We shall see.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is hard when families spread out. I miss my daughter, who lives in Arizona. I live with my oldest son here in Hamilton, my youngest son is in Auckland, and my adopted son lives near Christchurch. All well spread out and visits are not that regular. I am so thankful we have internet and phones to keep in contact or I would be wanting to move around and live with each one of them in turn!
      I hope both your daughters' house moves go smoothly and without major incident. It is a worrying time to be relocating, but life must go on. Be safe :) xx

      Delete

Thank-you for visiting my blog. I love it when you leave a comment so please feel free to have your say. Have a great day! Margaret xx

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.