RECIPES

Thursday 7 November 2019

The Picturesque Garden


This is the latest of the theme gardens to open in the park known as Hamilton Gardens, and I visited it yesterday.    The Picturesque Garden Movement became popular in the 18th Century and reflected a new appreciation for wild romantic landscapes.  Formal symmetry in the garden gave way to ‘natural’ overgrown gardens that were deliberately cultivated to appear to be wild.

The new garden-style was intended to appeal to the heart and mind as well as the eyes, and so the features in the garden often made reference to a story from antiquity.  The story chosen for Hamilton’s new garden is Mozart’s opera, The Magic Flute.

Personally, this style of gardening would not rank among my favourites.  I love the colour of flowers in a garden and love scent even more.  Overgrown green wildness to me looks like someone has forgotten to love their garden, or that they have shut the area up as a hay paddock.  But perhaps I am being unfairly judgmental as the garden does have a restricted site that it must fit within, and may perhaps look better if it was made on a larger scale.

I hope you enjoy the following pictorial  walk through this new Picturesque Garden.












Be sure to add a couple of artificial ruins and rustic bridges to your garden!
Margaret.

9 comments:

  1. That is an unusual garden. It combines natural with the "ruins". I suppose it still would be pleasant to walk through. I wonder what the creation in the last picture is supposed to be?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think they are meant to be the Three Flutes that the garden story tells.

      Delete
  2. I'm never really sure what I think of some of the sculptures some gardens put in place nowadays...I mean the ones that don't really look like anything but have these over inflated and imaginative names...Doesn't quite apply here, but there are some odd ones that do fit.

    I do like green, but like you I also like scent and colour, so it would be hard to say what I prefer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Whilst it is a nice garden it is not my style, not neat enough (I know!!) and no colour, but my sister would love it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I find this style of garden very appealing, far more so than manicured lawns and rectilinear flower beds. I am sure it attracts a good deal more wildlifel.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I am sure wild life would love this style of landscaping, but I would still call it more a wilderness than a garden.

      Delete
  5. It is so nice and interesting to follow you on your visits to the gardens. I think that it's good with variation.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The garden has a naturally grown in look to it that I like. How lovely to be able to explore such an area. What would it be like in the summer I wonder?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I would love to visit this place...it really appeals to me.

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you for visiting my blog. I love it when you leave a comment so please feel free to have your say. Have a great day! Margaret xx

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.