RECIPES

Monday 4 November 2019

Routines


This was our home in the late spring of 2005


Routines are slightly different to rituals and habits.  Rituals are the ceremonial performance of certain actions.  Habits are actions that are so ingrained in the mind, so automatic, that they become very difficult to change or stop.  Routines, on the other hand, are simply a sequence of actions that are regularly followed. 

I like to set out in list form the routines I use for housework.  It makes it much easier for me to know what needs doing and means I can totally forget about it the rest of the time.  When I was ill I used to follow the list one step at a time, and eventually the jobs would all be done.  Having a list also meant that if any help was available they could be shown it to know what needed doing.

Each time we moved house (which was often) I would write out new cleaning routines to suit that particular place.  I am doing the same again now. 

At the moment it looks like Monday and Thursday will be our main cleaning days.  I have yet to think about Thursdays but it will centre round the living rooms.  My draft Monday routine looks like this (it will no doubt change as it gets tweaked to make it work better):

Morning toilette and breakfast
Kitchen duties (dishes etc.)
Wind up chiming clock (it only needs winding weekly)
Change bedroom sheets
Put dirty sheets on to wash
Squirt cleaner into toilet and leave it to sit
Tidy and clean bedrooms
Clean bedroom and bathroom mirrors
Clean toilet
Clean bathroom (vanity, bath etc.)
Put out fresh clean towels
Put old towels on to wash
Hang out washed sheets
Drink a glass of water
Do the dusting
Vacuum all floors
Wash uncarpeted floors
Hang out washed towels
            (If weather is inclement, take washing to laundrette to dry)
Give one item a Special Clean

For the special cleaning, I intend to look around and see what needs to be done, consider what I feel like doing, and then enjoy doing that job.  It might be washing windows, polishing silverware, cleaning out a drawer, or re-arranging ornaments – whatever looks like it needs some attention.  Once upon a time I used to have a list of all these jobs and then do them in order, but I find my priorities are changing and I no longer want to fuss over housework so much.

Today’s warm sunny weather has been most enjoyable.  As I write this I can hear both a cock pheasant and a kingfisher off in the distance.  There are sparrows chirping outside the window, and a tui is singing in the nearby tree-filled gully. 

The sounds of nature are so peaceful.
Margaret.

11 comments:

  1. I don’t have a schedule, just go with what needs to be done. I couldn’t keep to a routine for cleaning. I don’t have the discipline or the energy for it. I admire your discipline.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Marie, I don't think I am disciplined at all. I am so lazy that if I don't have a list to follow, things just don't get done!

      Delete
  2. I bet your home is a little palace - having a good routine helps to keep it looking good all the time. My routines always go out the window when they are so interupted by our comings and goings and all the events we seem to be having now as the family expands again at the younger end.
    I am patiently waiting to have a good 'do' in the kitchen but can't until the pantry is finished - so am busying myself elsewhere.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not one to plan housekeeping- too many things crop up to spoil a routine.
    Marie hit the nail on the head - you need to be disciplined to stick to a routine- disciplined I am not. The outdoors (or a book) beckons and my discipline goes out with me lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh I am a list maker too. I go over my "to do" list every morning and enjoy crossing off things I got done the day before . My problem is starting on a job that is not on my list. Thank you for ideas on heating my little greenhouse; I appreciate that, and your visit. I've never known anyone from New Zealand.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Henny. All my life I have made lists - my husband used to laugh at me until he discovered that making lists actually works!

      Delete
  5. I'm impressed by how much you get done in a day ( I'm assuming you get all 18 or 19 jobs done!!) I am very much a list maker and a stick-to-a-routine person. I have our house sort of divided into "zones" and I make sure I get that part done. As well as the general cleaning and tidying. Today being Monday laundry gets priority also the sunroom where most of my 40some houseplants live. I water any that need it and pluck off old leaves etc.. It's noon here now and I'm actually done everything early. Later this afternoon I'll do a bit of baking then make supper. All the usual things we all seem to have to do. I find it so interesting how different women cope with the various household chores.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I also find it interesting to see how other women do things. It only takes an hour or two to whiz through my Monday chores as I am not a perfectionist! I don't worry about keeping everything spotless now, like I used to in earlier years.

      Delete
  6. That list sounds exhausting. I am a list maker but just things that I think should be done that day. There is always the garden or some other thing beckoning rather than housework.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have really enjoyed this post and the comments...can you tell I am slowing moving through your blog. There are so many interesting blogs...a lot I would have liked to follow from start to finish but they had done been blogging a long time so I didn't...but you are a relative 'new kid on the block' so is fun going through yours.

    I don't make lists, but sometimes wish I did. I used to have a list in my brain, but not sure I have much of a brain left.

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you for visiting my blog. I love it when you leave a comment so please feel free to have your say. Have a great day! Margaret xx