RECIPES

Sunday 17 November 2019

I Enjoy Ironing!

It seems to be a very unpopular pastime at the moment, to iron one’s clothes or household items.  Many people I know will go to extraordinary lengths to purchase items that do not need ironing.  I know how they feel, because for many years I absolutely hated ironing.  Procrastination would take over and the ironing box would be full before it got tackled.

Not anymore.  My husband always said a workman is only as good as his tools, and when we looked at the ironing situation we discovered I really disliked having the board moving around when I was ironing.

My ironing board now is a Brabantia model and has the stable feet I love.  With a good steam iron to help, ironing has become a joy and not a chore - especially with some background music to keep one company.


I like to iron in my sunny bedroom


Back in the 1980s (such a long time ago!) I knew a woman who was already well into her 70s.  As a teenager she had worked in a commercial laundry after school and knew several tips about how to iron different items.

Ironing handkerchiefs is one that really stuck with me.  Somehow, when my hankies come in from the clothesline they always seem to be skewiff and hard to iron straight.  Mrs W taught me to iron each of the four sides straight, and then iron the middle.  Most of the time I then end up with an even-sided handkerchief.


Beginning the ironing of a handkerchief


My mother loved to embroider items and taught me how to iron embroidered cloths.  Always iron on the wrong side so that the embroidery will stand out on the right side.  If it was a special piece, place the item on top of a towel to prevent the embroidery from flattening and make it stand out even more.


Ironing an embroidered cloth


It is not that I iron everything that I could.  Upon leaving school I boarded with a woman who insisted on ironing all of her sheets as she loved the crisp clean feeling of wrinkle-free sheets.  I have a sister-in-law who irons her towels and they always look neat and tidy sitting on the shelf.  My sheets and towels only get folded, but that is my personal choice (I do iron pillowcases).

How much do you enjoy ironing?
Margaret.

15 comments:

  1. Not my favourite chore.....funnily I used to do it at home for extra cash when the children were little.

    Pillow cases - tea towels - posh stuff - if 'hung out to dry properly' most goes into the wardrobe unironed, if it looks wrinkly when it has to be worn then it gets a quick going over. That's about it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't dislike ironing but there is always so much else that needs doing. I peg hankies on the line so they dry straight and just fold them. Only iron clothes that "need" it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Of all housework I like ironing the best and willingly do it. Although I don't iron towels or sheets.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love ironing I find it very relaxing I even did it as a job to earn extra money

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't mind ironing. I gave away my ironing board and use a folded towel on the counter in my laundry room. The iron is always out so I can quickly touch something up. When my son ( the one who lives here) was promoted to manager he began to wear dress shirts, a clean one every day. My DIL doesn't iron so I willingly offered to iron his shirts, which I do every week. I like a lovely crisp pillowcase too and some of my tea towels get ironed.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't iron point blank. Never will! I can
    think of no household task I loathe more (although
    vacuuming comes close). If my husband needs anything
    ironed, he knows where the iron lives and is happy
    to use it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Interesting subject, for us housewives anyway. My daughter does not iron . She hangs everything out so it dries uncrinkled and of course makes sure clothes she buys are non wrinkly.
    I have a big Steam iron,don't know what it's called, but it has a big holding tank for water which the iron stands on. Loads of steam. I hate ironing but love ironed clothes.
    That embroidered cloth is just like one I got from my grandmother!!! I have two to hand on to my kids. Don't use them anymore as they are getting thin.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I remember my nana use to iron literally everything and I mean everything from the tea towels to flannels to sheets and it was all stacked neat in her linen cupboard, these days people don't seem to iron that much, maybe it's the generational differences.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I can only use pure cotton or linen, so almost everything I have needs to be ironed, including quilt covers, but they do look smart. I also only purchase white bedding and towels, a throw back to my childhood, but white linen is beautiful. In our house I clean and hubby does laundry including the ironing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you for the tip on how to iron embroidered items. I have several dresser scarves and pillow cases my mother embroidered. I've never know how to iron the pretty. Like you, I always dreaded doing the ironing...hated it! and would let it pile up. Now I keep the ironing board set up in the sewing room with the iron there too. I use it lot while sewing. What I hated most was having to set the ironing board up. Sure enjoyed this post.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Well I'm likely to be the only man commenting here and I am doing so because I'm sitting down with a coffee to read blogs after having just finished my ironing (on my wider-than-standard, very solid ironing board with a good heavy steam iron). I like to sleep in crisp sheets so I iron my sheets, my hankies and my shirts. I listened to Elgar's Sea Songs and then the radio whilst ironing. I can't say that I like it but there are very much less appealing chores.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I hate ironing and do as little as possible. I admire your dedication to the art though!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I don't mind ironing, I find it is relaxing and I think ironed clothes do help one feel a little more preened.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I don't mind ironing flat stuff...but never liked to iron jeans, which I had to do when I was a kid. But not all the time...mom ironed part of the time. And not real crazy about shirts either, but I don't hate them. Not saying that.

    That is a great tip about ironing each side straight...and also about the embroidery, but I knew what you were going to say before you said it. But would not have thought of it in relation to embroidery.

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you for visiting my blog. I love it when you leave a comment so please feel free to have your say. Have a great day! Margaret xx