RECIPES

Friday 15 November 2019

Rose Garden Visit

First, a big thankyou to everyone for all their comments yesterday.  I felt overwhelmed by the kindness and encouragement shown, and really appreciate all that was said.



Today has been full of squally showers, strong gusts of wind, fast-moving clouds, and bright sunshine.  A real mix!




I had to take my car for its Warrant of Fitness this morning (vehicle check to make sure it is roadworthy).  This is a yearly event for my car, but today was a month overdue as I never received any reminder and simply had not noticed it was due.   It passed with flying colours, so I am all set for another year.




The Pacific Rose Festival opened today and runs over the weekend, so I popped in for a look on my way home.  It is held in the Rogers Rose Garden, another of the areas in the Hamilton Gardens complex.  There were a few people wandering around, and some had cards to fill in for the public vote for the best rose.  I went for a good walk around the area and enjoyed the colour, and sometimes the scent, of the roses.  Some had been battered by our recent spell of windy weather, which was a shame.




Not many birds around today, presumably because of the squally conditions.  I saw one thrush and several blackbirds (both male and female), and heard a tui, a grey warbler, and a shining cuckoo.  When we were children we always believed that when the shining cuckoo sang, if he finished his song with a downward note then we were in for rain.  This cuckoo didn’t do that, so hopefully we are going to be in for some fine weather for a change.




Enjoy your weekend,
Margaret

13 comments:

  1. How lovely you managed to fit in a visit to the Rose Gardens. Your weather sounds like ours - not Spring like that we're used to.
    One thing you'll be able to do is mark this walk down as incidental exercise unless it was planned as your daily walk. Keep on keeping on - or should that be walking on :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Incidental Exercise" - I like that term :) At the moment I don't yet have any structured walking plan, so I guess that is what I was doing.

      Delete
  2. I love Roses and can hardly wait until it's roses time again. The red rose in the 4th picture would be my DH's favourite. I like all colours and especially like roses with fragrance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I love the ones with fragrance as well. I can appreciate the beauty of a perfect rose, but the scent just takes them into the realm of heavenly.

      Delete
  3. The rose garden seems to me to be the exact kind of therapeutic adjunct to your ongoing dedication to an improved life style that is required. I am quite confident that bird song will help too. And the fact that your vehicle is now ready for another year on the road will do wonders for your blood pressure!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A definite adjunct, David! :)
      I am looking forward to my new life.

      Delete
  4. Such a beautiful rose garden. It is good for the mind and body.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The colours and the fragrance certainly put one in a good mood :)

      Delete
  5. Well after your blood pressure news and the programme you are devising to counteract it a visit to a rose garden has to be the perfect day. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou Graham. I love it when the roses are flowering.

      Delete
  6. Love the last photo the best Margaret. I can just imagine the scent of rose in the air, beautiful indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful Rose Garden. We used to have one quite close to us that we were a member of and used to visit it several times every summer, but sadly it closed down a couple of years ago due to financial reasons, it had been going for many many years so was a great loss. I don't know what happened with all the beautiful roses. Such a shame.

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you for visiting my blog. I love it when you leave a comment so please feel free to have your say. Have a great day! Margaret xx