RECIPES

Sunday 24 November 2019

Enjoying My Road Trip North


I have now completed Day Four of my roadtrip up north.  The weather has been absolutely gorgeous – apart from wind, which I think occurs up here quite a lot of the time! 
Every day has been full of travelling and I have driven over 1000km so far.  Tonight I am staying in Paihia in the Bay of Islands.  The following photos are from Thursday and Friday, and cover my journey as far as Kaitaia.

I never felt on "holiday" until I cleared the horrendous traffic at Auckland.  


Mangawhai Heads, north of Auckland

I followed the coastline most of the time.  This river was in Waipu, a town settled by Scottish immigrants, and walking along its banks made a great break from driving.

Walking beside the Waipu River in Waipu village

I loved Ruakaka Beach with its beautiful white sands, and even went for a paddle - the water was icy cold!

Ruakaka Beach, near Whangarei

Before arriving in Whangarei I visited the Marsden Oil Refinery visitor's centre.  It was most interesting to discover what can be done with crude oil, from sulphur fertilizer to diesel.  I thought they just made petrol!

A model of part of the oil refinery at Marsden

I would not normally post pictures of a toilet, but this public facility in Kawakawa is famous for being the only building in the Southern Hemisphere designed by the famous Austrian-born architect,  Friedensreich Hundertwasser.  Bus loads of tourists stop here, and I sneaked my visit in between two such buses.  It is such an interesting place that I will probably do a special post about it at some stage.

Hundertwasser toilets in Kawakawa

I have passed several hotels of this style, many rebranding themselves to cater for the current traveler.  This one offered single-room accommodation for a night to several weeks at a very affordable rate.

The Ohaeawai Hotel, built in 1895

My visit to Te Waimate Mission House was also very interesting - probably another post at some time!

Te Waimate Mission House, Waimate North

I stopped at a rest area when crossing the Mangamuka Hill and photographed this stream.

Mangamuka stream

I decided to do a little exploring of the Karikari Peninsular, driving on the first of many gravel roads I have covered this trip.

Matai Bay, Karikari Peninsular

The ocean beach looked spectacular but it was a long trek downwards to reach and I opted out, feeling too tired and hot to be bothered with climbing all the way back up again.

Karikari ocean beach

Leaving the Peninsular, I headed into Kaitaia and out the other side to visit Ahipara.  I was hoping to see a bit of Ninety Mile Beach but beach access was very limited and the place was a bit disappointing to me.

Ahipara beach, near Kaitaia

And, finally, look who has come to visit me in my motel room this evening.

A very content motel cat

Cheers everybody,
Margaret.

11 comments:

  1. What a wonderful trip. The photos say it all. Gorgeous scenery

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing a wonderful trip! I enjoyed the pictures so much.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is a wonderful road trip that you are having. There is certainly an abundance of gorgeous scenery. It's good to get away once in a while.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What beautiful countryside and beaches! I can imagine Scottish settlers arriving in the area and thinking they were in heaven along those beaches!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such lovely pictures! Your trip is obviously turning out very well. It's amusing that the resident kitty came to visit you.
    That toilet was a bit on the busy side. Good thing the toilet seat was orange or one might have a hard time distinguishing it from the rest of the room.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You have traveled quite far...and looks with good results...the cat is the crowing touch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I meant the cat was the CROWNing touch, not crowing touch.

      Delete
  7. Also, laughing at Granny Marigold's comment about good thing the toilet see being orange...LOL

    ReplyDelete
  8. I hadn't realised you were coming up here. I sent you an email a bout an hour ago but didn't say who I was.....

    ReplyDelete
  9. oh you were in Mangawhai, I would've met you for coffee. We loved the far north though, just stunning up there.

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you for visiting my blog. I love it when you leave a comment so please feel free to have your say. Have a great day! Margaret xx