RECIPES

Wednesday 13 November 2019

Not Mundane At All


Yesterday I had a doctor appointment that I thought would be a mundane normal yearly check-up.  Wrong!  My blood pressure was so high (even though I am on medication for it) it was approaching dangerous, and I was given a Cardiac Vascular Disease assessment and told I have a very very high risk of having a heart-related medical event within the next five years.  Something needs to be done!


Lake Rotoroa in central Hamilton


I know I have put on a lot of weight since losing my husband.  The last thing on my mind has been taking care of myself, even though I was told to often enough.   I knew I should have been doing more, but I felt at a bit of a loss as to what exactly to do (or was I procrastinating?).  Now I need to lose at least 15 kilos to get my weight down to a manageable level again, and at the same time improve my level of health if I wish to continue into my Senior Years without too many problems.

This is not the sort of thing I would normally post about, not liking to talk about health issues, but I decided that some readers may be interested in the journey I am about to embark upon – and maybe even like to join me, or be inspired to take better care of their own health.


Walking beside the Lake


The first step I am taking is setting a goal of exactly what it is that I want to achieve, then make a plan on how I can do that, as well as setting rewards for smaller achievements along the way.

This is going to be a whole lifestyle change and is going to take time.  My weight did not appear overnight and, realistically, it will not disappear overnight.  I need to learn to be patient, to set up a Plan and then follow it.


It is a very pleasant walk in places


This morning I went for a walk beside Lake Rotoroa in the centre of Hamilton.  I went early but there were still quite a few people out walking or running or following their dog around.  I kept a special eye out for birdlife and was happy to see mallard ducks, Australian coots, pukeko (some had chicks with them), pigeons (they roost in the Phoenix palms), sparrows, blackbirds, starlings, Indian mynahs, some welcome swallows, a couple of kingfishers, and a very special sighting (both heard and seen) of a long-tailed cuckoo (Eudynamys taitensis). 


Long Tailed Cuckoo
 
(Buller, Walter Lawry, Birds of New Zealand, 1888)


Long-tailed cuckoos are summer migrants to New Zealand (they breed here and nowhere else) and are not that common.  I have only had a confirmed encounter with one other bird and that was several years ago when I had the privilege of watching it stalk a smaller bird through some shrubbery.  Watching wildlife is so amazing.

Let birdsong bring joy to your soul,
Margaret

21 comments:

  1. Perhaps you can integrate the birds into a daily regimen of walks so you have a reason to go out. There certainly seems to be an interesting variety. Maybe join a local nature club and join in their outings. And eat moderate servings of healthy food, some of which can help to lower blood pressure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great ideas David. Birds and photos would certainly give me a motivator for walking more. I will have to look for a club to join as that would help me meet more people as well.

      Delete
  2. I'm excited for you as you start this journey into better heart health. You seem to have a plan and with time I'm sure you'll lose the weight that you've gained. I hope you'll provide updates as the weeks go by.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Plan is starting to come together. I want to make this work so I don't want to rush it. I hope to provide updates (it will help keep me accountable) and intend to file them under the label of Makeover (a new me!!).

      Delete
  3. Your statement - it didn't appear overnight so won't go overnight - is oh so true. We look for a quick fix and then become despondent when it doesn't happen. My GP often says, little by little- a bit here and there - that's the way to do it.
    Oh and thanks for dropping in the other day. It was lovely to see you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have been guilty of wanting that quick fix, even though I know slow and steady wins the race. I really want it to work this time so I must learn to be more patient.

      Delete
  4. I understand your need to get into a healthy routine and lose weight. I'm in the same situation. My health is fine, touch wood, at the moment but I don't look after myself either.
    Please do tell us about your journey. It might just give me a nudge to follow you!
    Good luck and good health

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ps I love your photos of the lake and the birds.

      Delete
    2. Thank you Local Alien. It is a shock to discover you are at high risk for a major health problem when you actually feel okay. Please look after yourself - and I would be quite happy if you want to join me in this journey to better health.
      The Lake is a beautiful place to walk. I'm glad you liked the photos.

      Delete
  5. Good luck with your weight loss plan. Slow and gentle is what does it. Walking makes a huge difference, or at least daily walking has done that for me, along with keeping a food diary so I know exactly what I eat and cutting out all the extras. I don't feel particularly deprived and think I enjoy my meals much more now as I look forward to them without the extra snacking that I had been doing. You have a lovely area in which to walk and the season/weather is now on your side too. Must admit going out in the morning when it is only 2 degrees, and is grey damp and miserable is somewhat off putting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your encouraging comments Serenata. I think a food diary would be an excellent idea as I often forget what I have previously eaten and so it becomes easy to overeat.
      I can easily imagine that those sort of miserable conditions would not be conducive to walking! I guess it has to become a habit so we do it regardless of the weather.

      Delete
  6. You are right to post this, we can offer you support, like you the pounds have piled on me since I finshed working. I know I need to loose weight and get out walking more, so you can inspire me and maybe we can loose weight together.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is so easy to take our health for granted. I have had periods in my life when I have been very ill and lost a lot of weight, but the last twenty or so years it has been a steady climb and the last two years it has increased a lot.
      I would be very happy for you to come along on the journey :)

      Delete
  7. Good luck with the lifestyle change, Margaret. You can do it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It is a shock to get such a message from the doctor, but so good that it is possible to start a change. It looks like you have great areas for walking. Maybe there are some kind of walking groups? Good luck with your way to a healthy life!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Marit. Yes there are walking groups around here. Maybe next year I will join one of them (everything seems to go on holiday over Christmas).

      Delete
  9. See it as a new chapter in your story Margaret, start slowly as you have done with gentle walks and work your way up from there, one day at a time knowing that you can achieve the goal you set. Healing thoughts from Western Australia :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Gemel. Slow and steady is going to be my mantra.

      Delete
  10. You have some lovely places to walk in Hamilton. I haven't heard a Long tailed cuckoo for some years and only ever seen a few when we lived in the Far North.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I still miss the beach for walking along (we used to live near the beach), but am enjoying discovering different places around the city to walk.

      Delete

Thank-you for visiting my blog. I love it when you leave a comment so please feel free to have your say. Have a great day! Margaret xx