RECIPES

Sunday 10 November 2019

Kaiate Falls, Bay of Plenty

Almost back to winter weather today, with strong winds and the odd shower of rain racing through.  Only I know it isn't winter because it is so warm instead of chilly.  I can see why we have a thunderstorm watch in place at the moment.
It is not nice to be outside so I have been watching a free You Tube movie - a comedy Western called Lightning Jack (with Paul Hogan) which I enjoyed immensely.

It was 2009 when our family last visited Kaiate Falls (say ky-ar-tee) in the Bay of Plenty.  Sometimes I wonder where time slips away to, as it doesn't seem that long ago.  These photos were taken on that last visit.  The day was cloudy so the photos are a little dark.

Kaiate Falls is actually a cluster of cascades and waterfalls.  The top waterfall consists of three cascades down through the ignimbrite rocks in this area.


From the steep track down from the car park, we could see a concrete bridge crossing the stream.  During heavy rain the Kaiate Stream will flood and this bridge has been known to be completely submerged.


The next view is looking back from the concrete bridge to where we had made the initial trek down from the parking area.   I believe these steps were later washed away in a flood, so am not sure what is there now.


The track we followed was well-formed, although (when we were there in autumn) it was a little slippery in places.  From the concrete bridge we continued on the trail downwards.


The trail often turned into steps to cope with the steep descent.


We finally reached the bottom waterfall.  The pool at its base was deep and the water very clear.  In the summertime this pool becomes a favourite swimming hole with locals and visitors alike.


Across another bridge over the stream and then it was a steep trek back up the other side of the gully to the parking area.  I was glad the day was not too hot!


We spent around 90 minutes doing this walk, but it can be done in half that time.   It all depends whether you like to linger or not, and we certainly lingered while in this lovely spot.

Taking time to appreciate the beauty of nature,
Margaret.

6 comments:

  1. A beautiful spot. Don't leave it so long until you return for a visit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love waterfalls and this area that you've featured would be a wonderful one to visit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love these falls. We used to come here and swim when I was in high school and we first got our licenses. Many many years ago. No steps and hardly any track. I took my family back about 15 years ago. Still a beautiful place!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is so beautiful! Thank you for taking us on a trip!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It was worth lingering there. So beautiful. The waterfalls of New Zealand are one of my favourite memories.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a beautiful place...and I so enjoyed reading about your grandmother...sorry to have written such long comments for prior posts...

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you for visiting my blog. I love it when you leave a comment so please feel free to have your say. Have a great day! Margaret xx

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.