RECIPES

Sunday 22 May 2022

The Gates Of Haast

 

Three years ago I was travelling down the West Coast of the South Island and on this day I was driving over the Haast Pass.

This road, which traverses the Southern Alps, was only opened in 1960 although the trail had long been used by Maori in search of greenstone.

It was not long before civilization was left behind, and the road was winding along beside the Haast River.




There are many corners, sometimes the road is narrow, there are several single-lane bridges – it is quite an adventure driving over this Pass.

And, of course, it is nearly always raining!

On average, Haast has rain on 177 days each year (totalling about 77 inches), so I thought this poem I found in the Visitor’s Centre was quite apt.




The scenery can be quite majestic.




There is a gorge at the top of the Pass known as the Gates of Haast and the whole feeling of this place is rather wild.




There are several waterfalls one can visit, and this one was named Fantail Falls.  I collected some smaller rocks from the creek here.  They were so cold, like they were made of ice.




Coming down the other side, now heading towards Wanaka and Queenstown, I stopped at several pretty spots to take some photos. 

The sandflies here were large and black and quite vicious biters, and I came away with several blood spots dotting my arms and legs!




The weekend seems to have passed quickly (it is Sunday evening here now).  We watched all six of the Super Rugby games, had a visitor to dinner last night, and this morning I went out for morning tea with a friend.

A busy time, but it has all been happy 😊

Until next time,

Margaret.

 

18 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. New Zealand Greenstone is a term that covers a mix of nephrite (like Chinese Jade) and high-quality serpentine rock. The Maori, who called the rock Pounamu (po-nah-moo) used it to make tools, weapons and jewellery/talismans. It is most frequently used now to create beautiful pieces of jewellery.

      Delete
  2. Oh Margaret F loves Haast passionately (she was born down that wayish) and had seen that verse before quite apt you might agree?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is the only time I have been in that area. It is so rugged and beautiful. I loved the rain verse as it rained a lot of the time I was there!

      Delete
  3. What a trip! Glorios scenery. I would love to drive over the pass, with a very cardeful driver lol. Pity about the flying-biting things

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Their bites actually hurt. I've heard they are also present down Milford Sound, where I am hoping to visit at the end of this year. Lots of insect repellant needed!

      Delete
  4. Stunning and so beautiful, thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for sharing, it is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love those New Zealand waterfalls. Water out the end of a culvert here passes for a waterfall.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Majestic country side.....

    Sound like a delightful weekend!!!!!!! It will take a lot, for the coming week, to match up to it!!! :-)

    😊 💛 😊 💛 😊

    ReplyDelete
  8. That road would be a challenge to drive especially if you were trying to see the gorgeous scenery as you drove. Sounds like you had a pleasant weekend. Now it's on to a new week, the last full week of May. It has passed so quickly. Have a good one.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That brought back memories of my trip South last year - thank you. It is a spectacular road, and your photos are wonderful. We had no sandflies at Milford, thankfully. But it was sunny, and as clear as it comes the whole trip... most unusual for the West Coast - the only rain was at Dunedin!
    Blessings
    Maxine

    ReplyDelete
  10. I agree, majestic is the right word to describe that scenery, Margaret. Beautiful photos of a magnificent place. I enjoyed your little poem, too.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Gorgeous area. I like the poem very much, had to laugh at "a drought of half an hour". That wouldn't happen here, our droughts tend to go on for years.

    ReplyDelete
  12. New Zealand has been on our bucket list for years. Both for sight seeing and hunting. I don't know if we will ever get there but it is fun to live it vicariously through you!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love rain, and the poem, too. And waterfalls, of course, but sanflies, yikes. We met....
    Yay to happy times! 😍

    ReplyDelete
  14. Now that's a place I havent been before but I could drive 2 hours from Greymouth. I sh ould do it one day.

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you for visiting my blog. I love it when you leave a comment so please feel free to have your say. Have a great day! Margaret xx