RECIPES

Sunday 31 January 2021

Rhubarb and Weetbix

 

Weetbix (wheat biscuits) would have to be New Zealand’s most iconic breakfast cereal.  There would not be many homes around that don’t have a packet in the cupboard.

I grew up eating the Classic Breakfast – two Weetbix with milk and brown sugar.  I don’t eat it very often now, but the makings are always waiting in the pantry just in case.




What I do like, for a change from muesli, is to have Weetbix with some stewed apple or rhubarb on top (instead of the sugar).  I cooked up some rhubarb yesterday for breakfast this morning – and then ate it before I remembered to take a photo!!




I once met a lady who ate her Weetbix with a smidgen of boiling water – just enough to soften it – and nothing else.  My mother sometimes enjoyed hers sliced in half and spread with butter and Vegemite.

So it seems there are many ways to enjoy our classic Kiwi breakfast food.

On a different note, I waited and watched to see our full moon rise the other night but the clouds would not give way.  However, the silvery edges to the clouds were pretty in themselves, so I still went to bed happy.

The photo is little blurry (well, maybe, very blurry) as my phone is not keen on night-time photos, but it gives you the idea.




We have a lovely summer day today – blue skies, sunshine, little wind – and expecting high temperatures again this coming week.  The hanging baskets are going to need more watering if they are to keep looking great.




Enjoy your weekend 😊

Margaret.



14 comments:

  1. Your hanging basket looks great. I gave up on them as they seem to need too much watering and maintenance.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like rhubarb, I have some in the freezer I need to make jam I love it swirled in my greek yogurt for lunch!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My mum loved her Weetabix with butter and homemade jam. Our grandsons still love them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh how I love weetbix. My mother used to make biscuits with weetbix and I have her recipe but it's hard to find here. Now and again I find weet-a-bix, expensive but we all love them.
    The moon was gorgeous here last night, bright and surrounded by an orange glow

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a couple of recipes for slices that use Weetbix. Your moon sounds lovely :)

      Delete
  5. To the uninitiated Weetbix didn't seem especially appealing in the first place, and when you mentioned adding Vegemite that did it altogether!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL I know Vegemite is one of your favourites - Not!! :))

      Delete
  6. I love the cloud shot and the hanging basket is so pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I suppose Weetbix is the same as is called Weetabix here. My husband have it each morning with bananas. The hanging basket is beautiful. Have a nice week!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm not really a weetbix fan but my mum use to stew rhubarb when I was growing up, it was a great topping to put on cereal.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I was brought up on Weet-Bix, both with fruit at breakfast time, and butter and Marmite as a snack occasionally. I don't eat it now...
    We had clear skies for the full moon - and it beamed like a searchlight into my room, and the passage area! Love your photo of it with the gleam on the clouds.
    Stay safe
    Blessings
    Maxine

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm like your friend who adds a little hot water to her Weet Bix, I don't like the crunchie-ness if there is a hint of dryness. I think that comes from a silly competitions years ago to see how many dry Weet Bix we could eat. But I could happily eat Weet Bix my way with a little yogurt and your rhubarb. Your hanging basket is lovely.

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you for visiting my blog. I love it when you leave a comment so please feel free to have your say. Have a great day! Margaret xx