RECIPES

Tuesday 5 January 2021

Strange Noises

 

We get used to the usual noises in our environment and often hardly hear them. 

At the moment, if I listen, I can hear sparrows chirping, the dull roar of traffic on the main road, a helicopter flying over, a neighbour’s dog barking, some faint distant music, and someone hammering timber – it is easy to tune out most of the time.

In the last 24 hours I have come across two strange noises, the most recent being similar to some machine being used behind the house.  I had to go and investigate – it was speed boats going up and down the River!

The other noise was a scrabbling during the night and then a thump and a bump – it was Mittens leaping up the outside wall of the house and squeezing through the barely open window of my bedroom.  She must have been desperate to join me for the night!


Even at low tide, it is pleasant to visit the beach on a sunny day


We have a hot day today, no rain so far but there are thunder clouds building up again.

I did my normal Tuesday thing and went and bought some groceries, as well as a pixel puzzle book to replace my codecracker book.  I like to do a puzzle or two when I cannot sleep, but get tired of doing the same ones all the time.

Years ago, I was told to always buy a little treat with the groceries as it stopped one feeling poverty-stricken when cash was a bit tight.  Most of the time I still do this, and today I bought a 300ml bottle of chocolate milk – Puhoi Valley Real Belgian Chocolate Milk.  It was totally delicious!

Sometimes we need these little treats to make life more pleasurable 😊

Margaret.


22 comments:

  1. You know, I almost always buy a little something, sometimes more than one, when I go shopping.

    I always investigate sounds, too. We cannot sleep with our cats...they will not just sleep. If I am in the room, Bubbie is constantly doing something. But you should hear them sometimes when they want me to get up. It sounds like they are tearing the door down. You just would not believe how loud they can be.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I get walked on when she wants me to wake up! And, yes, I do know that noise at the door :))

      Delete
  2. A treat wit the groceries sounds good. Where is the beach?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At Papamoa, facing in the opposite direction to Mt Maunganui.

      Delete
  3. You must have been relieved that the scrabbling at the walls followed by thumps was just Mittens. I think my adrenaline would have made me so awake I would have had a hard time falling back asleep.

    Chocolate and flowers tend to be my little treats. A fair amount of after Christmas marked-down chocolate made its way into my shopping cart. I hope to exercise restraint and eat only a little
    bit a day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good luck with your restraint! I'm afraid I am not that good at doing that :)

      Delete
  4. You guys wouldn't enjoy us nearly so much if we shouted, whistled or rang bells to get your attention. xxx Mr T

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true Mr T. But I think tonight I will stay on the bed instead of coming through the window - the wall was a bit much to climb! Purrings, Mittens 😻

      Delete
  5. Oh Margaret - Mittens must have given you a fright! It has taken me a bit to get used to the noises around the rental...
    Stay safe
    Blessings
    Maxine

    ReplyDelete
  6. I often pop a treat into our basket, we worked hard all our lives to have a good retirement, so there is never any guilt. We too can hear a motorway in the distance, but mainly at night when the sounds from our village are less.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely you have a beach close by. It’s jet skis that annoy me and make the most noise. Always a sign of high summer. Non at the moment lol! B x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello,
    I hear strange noises coming from our furnace, it makes a lot of noise turning on and off.
    I would love a walk on that beach, looks beautiful. I have not had chocolate milk in years, sounds yummy. Take care, enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's always nice to have a special treat on hand when you need one.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well, you may have motivated me to pick up a bottle of Oyster Bay. That's a BIG treat in life!

    ReplyDelete
  11. We sure do. The milk sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Glad you could figure out the 'noises'!

    A treat, when grocery shopping. Lovely idea!

    Codecracker books! Must look into these, for my husband. He lovessssss doing cross word puzzles and etc. I'm sure they come in big print. Thank you!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. That treat idea is superrrr!! I often buy myself a treat when shopping and then feel guilty. No more!
    I thought that beach looked familiar!
    Lovely Papamoa

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh, I am in favor of treats, especially chocolate ones!
    Am going to listen closer to the sounds on my vicinity.

    ReplyDelete
  15. WE consider chocolate a staple for the cupboard! Your weather looks lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Things that go BUMP in the night!
    Yes I think a personal gift of something chocolatey is a great idea, but I think I've been overdoing it recently, have to stop treating myself!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I've never thought of buying a little treat. Then when I thought about it more and realised that in the 20 years I've lived alone the fact thatI only shop for myself so have free choice of what I eat without pleasing anyone else (except when I'm entertaining or have friends staying). So really every thing I buy is a treat for myself. I really am a lucky person.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Each of us has our own familiar sounds of our neighbourhood. About once a month there is a stock auction not far from where I live and I remember so clearly the first time I heard the auctioneer. It was so unexpected I argued with myself about what I was hearing. I treated myself to that Puhoi Valley Chocolate Milk a while ago and agree, it sure is good.

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you for visiting my blog. I love it when you leave a comment so please feel free to have your say. Have a great day! Margaret xx