RECIPES

Friday 8 January 2021

Lunch and A Kettle

 

With so much of the world in lock-down, I appreciate that we are still able to meet together.  I was able today to have lunch with one of my brothers-in-law and his dear wife, in a hardware store café.

I ordered an Angus Beef burger, minus the bun (I never eat it) – the result looked a little messy but it still tasted good.  And, of course, the company was excellent and we shared much gossip and laughter.




It has been another hot day.  We had a lot of heavy rain overnight and the clouds are still looking threatening.  Everything is sodden and when the sun shines it is a bit like being in a sauna.

I had an Iced Chocolate Milk with my lunch to cool me down a bit.




The kettle we have been using is now several years old, so we have had a good run with it.  But the day before yesterday I lifted the lid to put water into it, and the handle fell off the lid!  At least we could put water in through the spout, but it was time for a new one.

I went looking around the hardware store after lunch and found this Sheffield kettle – and it was on special!  There was only one box left and it was right at the back of the shelf, so I had to ask an assistant to retrieve it for me – one of the joys of being vertically challenged!




We had a lovely birthday dinner last night.  It is the first time granddaughter has made a full meal by herself, and I thought she did very well.




I enjoyed going out for a while, but it is nice now to be back home sitting in front of the fan with a large glass of chilled water 😊

Margaret.


 

23 comments:

  1. That's nice you could have a lunch out. The chocolate milk looks good...I love anything chocolate. Kudos to your granddaughter for making a meal!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you had a good day and you enjoyed your meals.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The food in the cafe looks really good, impressive. We got the rain too, it was great - very much needed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Is that chocolate milk for two oor chocolate milk with chopsticks? Either way it looks very artisan .... and desirable. Xxx Mr T

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely that you are able to dine out. Hopefully things over here will improve once the vaccine comes to all of us. Sounds like it’s a bit too hot in your corner. Frosty here but no snow yet. B x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Enjoy your meeting with family in the full knowledge your government got everything right, we are jealous, but would not wish our lives on anyone.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello,

    The burger meal looks delicious. I would love the chocolate milk too. YUM! It is nice you were able to meet with your family for a meal. Take care, have a happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I sure hope those straws were not plastic!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I drink 2 to 3 litres of water a day (I have a uretic stent) and lots of coffee but the idea of trying to 'drink' a chocolate milk terrifies me. It looks to 'thick' to go up a straw. I'm sure I'd be full after drinking ¼ of it - even if it was only in my mind.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a bit like a chocolate milkshake - now, if it had been a thickshake, then you would have trouble with the straw :)

      Delete
  10. It sounds very nice to go out for lunch and see people! We should preferably stay home and have no visitors due to increase in covid-19 cases. And great with your granddaughter that made a meal for her father's birthday! In Norway it is -4 C now, so you could come over and cool down :) It is no snow where we live, but I am happy that the roads are dry and no ice.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Angus Beef burger!!!! Oh! Can I come over??
    Hot day? Can I... (1C here, snowing, gahhh).
    Here fun is over the phone, but that is OK.
    Sorry, but you made me laugh about the kettle-adventure! I can SO picture this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I suppose it was rather funny - at the time, I was more annoyed :)

      Delete
  12. Yummmmmmm...

    You are out of Lock Down! Hooray!

    Wondering if it is as simple as.... You are in Summer, and people can gather out of doors...

    We are in Winter and it is too cold out doors, to gather. So gathering has to be done, inside....

    A thought... Who knows... But enjoy it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sounds wonderful to me to meet and have lunch with someone. Have only did that once since this began...I share the koy of being vertically challenged.

    ReplyDelete
  14. That is a delicious looking lunch, and with cold chocolate milk. Sounds wonderful! Your granddaughter's meal looks wonderful too. And me too...vertically challenged. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Iced chocolate milk sounds good even if it's only 5 degrees out. One of my daughters has a 'thing' about using plastic straws. I agree with her ( but when she's not around I confess I use them. Then I wash it and re-use it another time to salve my conscience.)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Nice to get out. New Zealand has done well with the pandemic. You are making the best of the hot weather, Margaret.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Margaret, I am vertically challenged, too. I often find climbing up and down large steps can be difficult, modern dining chairs can cut off my leg circulation. And don't get me started about modern sofas!!! The most awlward and uncomfortable of all. ps - yes we are so lucky here being able to get out and about.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Yes, we are so blessed to be able to gather freely!! Thankfully we don't get the humidity that you do, and the heat is more bearable, although through last week we hit 30oC one day - not that met service recorded it that high... In the rental I have there is a concrete deck that gets the heat of the sun, and then reflects it onto part of the house... it will be lovely in winter, but just now it sometimes gets a tad too hot!
    Glad your DGD's meal was a success - may she make many more.
    I have given up on stretching, and now like you, ask for help - DH was taller than me, so it's only of late I have had to ask for help...
    Stay safe
    Blessings
    Maxine

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you for visiting my blog. I love it when you leave a comment so please feel free to have your say. Have a great day! Margaret xx