RECIPES

Thursday 7 January 2021

A Birthday Trifle

 

It is my eldest son’s birthday today (he turns 47) – his daughter is cooking us all dinner to celebrate, and I was asked to make a trifle for dessert.

I know there are several different ways of making trifle, but this is the way I make it, and is also the way my mother made it.




I use a small slab of sponge-roll cake from the supermarket and break it into chunks in a crystal bowl (actually, any bowl will do).




Then ¼ cup raspberry jam is mixed with ¼ cup port and poured evenly over the sponge.

(I might have overdone the quantities here a bit - I was guessing!)




The custard is made next. 

Whisk up 2 cups milk, 2 eggs, 2 heaped tablespoons cornflour (cornstarch), ¼ cup white sugar, and 1 teaspoon of vanilla essence.

Pour into a saucepan and stir constantly over a medium heat until it has thickened.  Sometimes it gets away on me and becomes lumpy so I give it a good whisk to make it smooth again (remember, I am a home cook not a cordon bleu chef!).

Pour the hot custard over the sponge and use a blunt knife to help the custard seep down between the sponge pieces.  I like to have the sponge reasonably well covered with custard so that no large dry pieces are visible on the top or down the sides.




Leave the trifle to cool, then decorate as desired.  We will most likely have ours tonight with whipped cream and some fruit salad on the side.

I think granddaughter intends to make steak with a fancy potato dish and a salad.  Should be nice 😊

Margaret.



14 comments:

  1. The trifle looks delicious! Happy birthday wishes to your son!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haven't had trifle for years but there is a bit of New Year cake in the freezer which might go to just that use. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. The trifle looks fantastic and I think it is very delicious,Happy birthday and greetings from anna

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like a trifle pound-packing on to me!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello,

    The dinner sounds yummy and the trifle look delicious. Take care, enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy birthday to your son! Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The most irrelevant comment I can make is that my Godfather so loved trifle that he would have the leftovers for his breakfast. On a more relevant note I've never made proper custard. I happily do all sorts of cookery things but I always use bought custard. "Shame on you!" I hear you say.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I hope it was even half as good as it sounds!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy birthday to your son. My eldest son turned 51 yesterday.
    I love trifle and don't make it nearly often enough. I'd say my 'recipe' is roughly the same as yours except I tend to use something like a large can of peaches drained (mostly) and chopped up a bit instead of jam. And I use Cool Whip...the 95% fat free so I can put a LOT on top of almost anything. Do you have Cool Whip in NZ? My sister laughs at the stash of Cool Whip in my freezer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have canned cream stuff that squirts out of an aerosol can, so I presume that is similar. It is light and fluffy and I don't use it as it seems to disintegrate after a while (it needs to be eaten straight away).
      Hope your son had a great birthday :)

      Delete
  10. Happy Birthday Wishes to your son.

    Yum! That trifle looks and sounds delicious.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wonderful and traditional way of making trifle - very similar to how I make it, even the custard is a lot like mine :) Now I am drooling... I can't really make trifle now with food allergies and intolerances in the family :( Hope you enjoyed the meal
    Stay safe
    Blessings
    Maxine

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you for visiting my blog. I love it when you leave a comment so please feel free to have your say. Have a great day! Margaret xx