RECIPES

Monday 24 February 2020

We Have Sunshine!


Today the sun is back in full force.  On Saturday we had a few lovely showers and yesterday (Sunday) we had two late afternoon thunderstorms that came through close together.  

Son checked the soil moisture this morning and it was damp for only a few bare millimetres.  We still need some prolonged gentle rain to recover from this spell of drought.

I could hear thunder rolling around when I took this photo

Today the skies are blue, the sun is shining, there is no wind, and it is getting too hot to be outside again. 


Back to blue skies

The hanging baskets are about at their end now and will need to be replanted for winter – I thought maybe violas would look nice. 

I was happy to see that the tuberous begonia in its wall pot is now finally beginning to flower.


Tuberous begonia 

Most of yesterday was spent with a trip to Auckland to visit a relation.  It was a pleasant drive up to the city and took me about two hours to reach my destination.

Coming home took me nearly 30 minutes longer.  The traffic was bumper to bumper on some parts of the Southern Motorway and Waikato Expressway, mostly due to roadwork disruptions and every man and his dog deciding to go out for a drive. 

A new section of highway that will improve things dramatically has now been officially opened – but is not yet open to traffic to use.  There was some excuse about needing to finish a crash barrier, but a lot of people are finding it ridiculous to open a road before it is open.

Today I am recuperating!  A long day seems to leave me tired these days, but I have still managed to do what housework needed doing (cleaned bathroom, washed towels, tidied kitchen etc.) but decided I will leave the floors until tomorrow.  They are not going anywhere!


Son found a new Paper Wasp nest by the compost heap

I am enjoying reading more of Gayelord Hauser’s Look Younger Live Longer.  As a consequence I have dragged the juicer out of the cupboard and had a lovely juice with my avocado and salad lunch.


Juicer and juice

I used several carrots, a long stalk of celery, one apple, and a large piece of ginger.  The ginger was a little overpowering – I used too much – but the juice was still very enjoyable.

There is a pineapple sitting on the bench, so I will chop that up later and may have some pineapple and celery juice before dinner.

It is son’s turn to make dinner tonight and I believe we are having nachos, so a juicy appetizer might be quite nice.

Cheers everyone J
Margaret.


11 comments:

  1. How nice to find a blog from New Zealand. I have a cousin over your way somewhere...I can't remember what town she lives in. I'll have to look that up and see! Anyway, I'm happy to have found you. thanks for your nice newsy blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh...just to explain....I'm in Northern Wis....which is Wisconsin in the US. Just to let you know...and right now we have about 50 inches of snow on the ground. It won't be Spring here for quite some time!



    ReplyDelete
  3. Back to sun here as well although the rain was minimal we did have clouds.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good for you using your juicer. I think many people buy one and after the first little while it rarely gets used.
    A few millimeters of rain won't do much to help the situation; hopefully you'll get more soon.
    That's a pretty Begonia ( a flower I seem to have no luck with at all).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We've had the juicer for several years now. Seem to have "sessions" with it and then it hides in the cupboard for a while. I think breadmakers are another appliance that most people have bought but are rarely used.

      Delete
  5. Ginger is one of those ingredients it is easy to use too much of, and I would imagine that in a smoothie the effect would be quite pronounced. Fingers crossed for more rain for you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hope you have more rain there, Margaret.

    Your juices sound delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello,

    I hope you have some more rain.. Your begonia is pretty. The juice smoothy sounds delicious, I like ginger. Enjoy your day, wishing you a happy new week!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hope you get more rain! Violas and Pansies like cooler weather! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I was in hopes you would get enough rain to really get the ground wet. I love that first shot of the sky....those kinds of skies always give me a thrill.

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you for visiting my blog. I love it when you leave a comment so please feel free to have your say. Have a great day! Margaret xx