RECIPES

Wednesday 26 February 2020

Hot Air Ballooning


There were a couple of comments yesterday about going up in an hot air balloon, so I thought I might write about my one and only experience in doing so.


Me in the Basket

In 1996  my daughter and I helped out as volunteers at the local Balloon Festival.  We were detailed to be with the crew for a balloon from Japan, and as a result we were given the opportunity to go up in the balloon.

My trip was a very short one as we hardly rose up before coming back down to land.  There was some reason about winds or something, but I no longer remember the exact cause.

Inflating the balloon with helium

The two things I remember most were the absolute silence, except when the gas was released, and the gaps in the floor of the balloon’s basket.

The silence was incredible.  I think we often don’t realise how noisy our world is – even when we say it is quiet, there is still noise of wind or birds or insects around us (the sounds of silence!). 

Not being a great lover of heights, being able to see the ground between the gaps in the floor of the basket was rather unnerving to say the least.  I could look out from the basket as long as I held onto the edge – a false sense of security as I knew there was nothing to stop me from falling.

Mass ascension beside Hamilton Lake

When the balloon made a ‘proper’ flight, we would chase it in the van.  Once a safe location was found and the balloon had landed, we would arrive and help to pack everything up again.

Masahiko, our pilot, maneuvered the balloon into the trailer prior to deflating it 

Crewing for a hot-air balloon was hard work but a lot of fun.  Not something I could do now though!

Have you had any experiences with hot-air balloons?

Cheers,
Margaret.

17 comments:

  1. There are many things I have wished to do in life, many of which I have accomplished, but hot air ballooning and sky diving have never been on the list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. With all your love of birds, David, I thought you would have wanted to try and fly like one!
      LOL just teasing :))

      Delete
  2. One year there was a hot air balloon at the nearby elementary school where my sons attended. The children got to go up in the balloon and come back down. No flying anywhere but it was thrilling to them. Since the balloon was well anchored I would have gone up but parents were not given the option.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a shame you weren't able to go up, but I am sure the children will always remember doing so.

      Delete
  3. The idea of going up in the air in a small basket sends shudders through me! I would be doing a little more than grasping the walking the basket!
    However..... I can imagine the views would be marvellous and I would love to experience the silence.
    Now and it gets so quiet here I can hear the silence. Doesn't happen often ften. As you say, too many insect noises, wind in the trees et all

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So many mistakes lol, but I'm sure you get the gist

      Delete
    2. You are not alone with your shudders! A lot of people are the same.

      Delete
  4. Hello , I would like to see the hot air balloon festival. They are so pretty. I am a wimp though, I could never take a ride in the hot air balloon. Loved the photos. Enjoy your day, wishing you a great week ahead.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Balloons have a reasonably good safety record but they are not infallible, so no need to feel like a wimp! Actually I, myself, much prefer to view them from the ground and have no wish to repeat my sole experience of going up in the air.

      Delete
  5. During a trip to Australia on a tour near Alice Springs, we had the opportunity to ride in a hot air balloon. We both opted out but it is one of my regrets. I would never do it now. Twenty years ago was the window of opportunity!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How unfortunate that you missed your window of opportunity - you would probably have enjoyed it.

      Delete
  6. No experience here, and not sure I could go up in one now. Would not have bothered me in the least when I was younger. I bet it was fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Likewise. The younger me was a lot more adventurous than the older me!

      Delete
  7. I like watching them! Never been up in one I am afraid of heights:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like the artistic cats on the balloon you went up in. To be able to see the ground through the floor of the basket would be worrisome.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have many wishes on my list, even accomplished some but I never had a chance to go for hot air ballooning and sky diving which I never add on my wishlist. I have acrophobia maybe because of which I never made it. I hope you had an amazing time in the air feeling the silence.�� !!! Stay Blessed.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The hot air balloon was always a topic of discussion for our group while learning to play the guitar at the Music Institute Coimbatore . We were fascinated then, but not as much now. Till date, only one of us has managed to make a trip in a hot air balloon.

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you for visiting my blog. I love it when you leave a comment so please feel free to have your say. Have a great day! Margaret xx

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.