RECIPES

Saturday 8 February 2020

Garden Memories


My mother-in-law, now long departed from this earth, was a very keen gardener.  She knew the Latin names of most plants, as well as their culture and history, and delighted in growing her own plants from the seeds and cuttings she could obtain from family and friends.

My husband said he remembered that she would spend hours and hours in her garden, and her flowers won several prizes at various shows.  These photos were taken by her in 1964 (long before I met her) of her homestead garden out the back of Huntly (in the Waikato). 

It is a pity she never photographed her vegetable garden as well as I have heard the family (seven children) were virtually self-sufficient in home produce.  Every year the farm tractor would plough up a paddock and potatoes, peas and tomatoes would be grown for bulk preserving.

There was also a large orchard, milk from the dairy herd, and meat from cattle, sheep and pigs.  Eggs came from chickens and ducks, with any excess being sold to neighbours.  What many would call an ideal life, but she told me once it was a lot of hard work and that was just how it was in those days.

Summer profusion in the Front Garden

The Lily Pond (complete with goldfish)

The Back Porch area

The Shrubbery divided the garden from the road

A corner devoted to gladioli

I hope you have enjoyed this little trip of garden nostalgia.  By the time I met her she was living in a different house with a different garden, still amazing, but that is another story.

Margaret.

18 comments:

  1. Lovely to see these photos. I spent a lot of my childhood in Huntly so this brought back happy memories.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely photos,very typical of the gardening style of the 60's, the gardens were so pretty.
    Diana

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it was the profusion of flowers that made them so pretty. Today the trend seems to be more structured and not as colourful.

      Delete
  3. Your MIL must have been a very interesting ( and hard working) person. To do all that gardening and raise 7 children. In my younger days I wanted to try being self sufficient on some acreage but it didn't work out. It was probably for the best because I don't think I could have worked as hard as some of the older folks did.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know where they got their energy from, especially with their big families - but perhaps the older children did a lot of the work as well.

      Delete
  4. I especially notices the two water tanks, presumably extra for the garden.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The water tanks were for house supply, fed from rain on the roof.

      Delete
  5. Oh thank you for that. She sounds just like my grandmother. Her pansies always won prizes, her peaches were renown for their size. She loved her garden.
    Wonderful photos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Old fashioned pansies are one of my favourite flowers. Sounds like my MIL would have got on well with your grandmother!

      Delete
  6. Great photos - are they hollyhocks or gladioli at the back of the last one?

    I'm hoping my children remember the years this garden has flourished and not the dry flower less ones of drought years. Even though we've got tanks 'for the garden' if there's no rain to fill them there's no flowers in the garden. I gave up veggie growing a while ago

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sent me looking a bit closer at the photos LOL. The last photo is all gladioli with some blue delphiniums in the back. The first photo has a couple of hollyhocks at the back.
      From what I understand, the water for the farm was pumped up from the nearby lake and was also used in the garden. The rainwater was collected for household use. It must be so frustrating to watch your plants die from lack of water.

      Delete
  7. She worked so hard to maintain such a garden and raise seven children. Growing your own vegetables and preserving them would have been chore enough. Incredible!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It does sound Utopian, but I am sure, as you say, that it involved a lot of hard work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She was very pragmatic about the hard work, telling me it was just something that you did although no doubt she must have struggled at times.

      Delete
  9. I can see what a gifted gardener she was. Growing food for such a big family must have been a monumental undertaking!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I do not know how I missed this....so glad I came back looking for something else. I loved hearing about your MIL and seeing these photos.

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you for visiting my blog. I love it when you leave a comment so please feel free to have your say. Have a great day! Margaret xx

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.