RECIPES

Sunday 2 February 2020

02 02 2020 and Coronavirus


I love numerical date sequences, and today is 02-02-2020.  It will be over one thousand years before we reach the next date in this sequence (03-03-3030), but it is highly unlikely we ever will.  At some stage over the next 1000 years the calendar is bound to change, as it did in the previous 1000 years with the Julian calendar being overtaken by the Gregorian calendar.


A pleasant walkway in Cambridge


We have been having some unusual cloud formations in our evening skies the last couple of days.  Last night it was like a blob of cloud had been drawn out like candyfloss by some giant hand, so that it stretched out across the sky and caught the rays of the setting sun.  The photo is of the base of the cloud - I couldn't fit in all the fingers!


Last night's unusual cloud formation


The Chinese coronavirus is currently very much in our news.  Last night it was reported, almost with regret, that a quarantined person in hospital did not have the virus.  There is so much hype about coronavirus, and The Press need to be held responsible for it.  A lot of people have been panic buying face masks and there are reports of others abusing Chinese tourists for visiting our country.

Consequently, I have been very happy to hear a doctor come out and say we need to put things into perspective.  So far around 80 people have died, which is tragic – and yet, one million people die around the world EVERY YEAR from influenza.  And around five million children die EVERY YEAR from preventable disease and malnutrition.  Who is panicking over those figures?


Fresh air and sunshine is vital for good health


Good old fashioned hand washing is still one of the most effective methods of preventing the spread of communicable diseases.  Other hygiene practices, like stopping yourself from coughing or sneezing all over other people, can also help. 

Fresh air and sunshine needs to be allowed into our homes, yet so many never open their windows and quite an alarming number of people never even open their curtains!


Take care,
Margaret.

19 comments:

  1. That last sentence really resonated with me. I don't understand why some people don't open their curtains. All I use as curtains are lace panels or, in the bedrooms, blinds which I open right after getting dressed in the morning. Of course at this time of the year the windows themselves are shut but as soon as it warms up a bit I'll be opening them to let fresh air in.
    That's an interesting cloud formation.
    And I love the 02 02 2020 thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love number things like that, and especially get a kick out of looking at the clock and seeing the time as 11.11 or 03.03 or similar. I open my windows for a brief time in winter, but we don't get cold like you do.

      Delete
  2. I do like my curtains drawn at night, but if left up to me they would always be open all day. However, Roger would be content with them shut all the time. I just simply cannot live that way. So we compromise.

    that is a neat cloud...I have been a cloud watcher forever!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Clouds are fascinating :)
      My curtains are drawn at night as well, and sometimes I will open them in the early morning and then lie in bed and watch the light creep into the room.

      Delete
  3. Doors Windows curtains blinds are all open as much as possible here.
    Blows the cobwebs - and hopefully- the germs away.
    The bed is left to air before being made and the pillows get time in the sun as well
    It's good to know someone else feels the same way as I do

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We might be called old-fashioned Cathy, but I am sure it keeps us healthier. Very few people I know let their bed air before making it - a lot of people I know, don't even make their beds! I couldn't live with that all the time.

      Delete
  4. and washing is always dried on the line outside (if it rains it is finished off in a dryer).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, that is the best, to have washing blowing dry in the sun and wind - I washed sheets this morning and tonight they smell so lovely and fresh and clean, full of sunshine.

      Delete
  5. The papers here in UK are much the same, grabbing an headline, expanding the truth. We have 2 people in isolation, our world is very small each year when new bugs form.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know we need to be informed, and often certain precautions need to be taken, but I really object to the way the News is making the public panic about the situation by blowing it up out of all proportion.

      Delete
  6. The most despicable aspect of this is that we turn on other people who happen to look Chinese but have no more responsibility for the virus than we do, nor will be more prone to suffer from it nor spread the disease, than anyone else. But never deny a good bigot the chance to display his bigotry, I guess.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I find such racism incomprehensible myself, and think it is sickening how quickly people will point the finger at a fellow human being.

      Delete
  7. The media has a huge role to play in the fear mongering. There is so much negativity on the news these days, I am selective in what I watch and how,often.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For many years I only read headlines online, but have unfortunately slipped back into the habit of watching the News on TV every night. I need to become more mindful again!

      Delete
  8. We never watch the news on TV, though we hear some on the radio. I agree with Marie, there is just so much fearmongering and negativity. I always open the windows for a while in the morning, even if it's cold and raining and let the bed air until after breakfast before making it. Best, Jane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have heard that it takes ten minutes to change the air in a room, so even on the worst of days I like to open the windows for 10-15 minutes just to get that oxygen flowing through. In summer they are open all day, and I use the curtains to block out the worst of the sun's heat. Enjoy your day :)

      Delete
  9. Sensible speaking about coronavirus and the scare tactics of the media. I totally agree with everything you say. And the stats are very interesting, I'm going to share them with my family as I have a couple of 20 something grands who are just a bit concerned about it all. So thanks for sharing.
    iana

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Diana. So many seem to just accept what they hear and never stop to think about it and put it into perspective. Hopefully your family will listen to you and then be able to take a more sensible approach to this threat.

      Delete

Thank-you for visiting my blog. I love it when you leave a comment so please feel free to have your say. Have a great day! Margaret xx