RECIPES

Sunday 9 February 2020

Climbing Hills


Over the years we lived in many different houses, often in rural areas.  Nearly always we had wonderful neighbours who would allow us to wander over their farms as long as we never disturbed stock and always left gates how we found them.

One such place we lived in, during 2006, had a good-sized hill behind the house, and I used to walk up here almost every day.




The property was in a long deep valley not too far from Te Awamutu.  This was the view from half-way up the hill.




The woolshed can be seen on the left, the old shearer’s quarters on the right, and our home was the one nestled in among the trees.




It was a deceptively steep climb up this hill.  I used to sit in the grass at the top and look back down over the valley while I caught my breath again.




If I felt energetic the tractor track continued up into the hills beyond and made for a longer walk.




When you got high enough the road noise disappeared and it became very quiet with only the wind, farm stock and a few birds making the odd noise.  I loved the silence.




I seldom walked past the duck pond, but would turn around here and make my way back down again.




These photos were all taken on various walks during 2006, and I always felt the house was welcoming me when I returned from a walk.  Maybe it was the cup of tea I was looking forward to!




What a joy it is to be able to look back upon pleasant memories J

Margaret.

10 comments:

  1. Oh, I am so with you on looking back on pleasant memories...even though my photos are not of people much, they bring back such fun memories with Roger.

    I so would love to have had the opportunity to visit your country.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think if I had had the means I would have loved to have traveled a lot to different places. As it is, I have to content myself with being an Armchair Traveler.

      Delete
  2. That must have been quite a hike up the hills but so worth it. The view and the quietness would make it an attractive place to walk.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never got to the stage where I stopped puffing! It was a very steep hill.

      Delete
  3. Lovely rural photos and memories!

    ReplyDelete
  4. These photo's look as if they could be taken here in UK, I love to look at old photo's and spend enjoyable afternoons lost in them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Photos are such precious memories. Sometimes I wonder where the years have gone.

      Delete
  5. You lived in Paradise! What a spectacular view!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is probably the most beautiful place to live I have ever seen. I can't even imagine. Yes, it is Paradise!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It is so beautiful!I would have loved to walk there. It is nice to look back with photos to remind us about the good memories.

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you for visiting my blog. I love it when you leave a comment so please feel free to have your say. Have a great day! Margaret xx