RECIPES

Wednesday 5 February 2020

The Wet West Coast

Thankfully our weather today is a little cooler than it has been lately, helped along by a very pleasant breeze and a few clouds.  We could still do with some rain to ease our water restrictions, but we are not as desperate for it as those further north are (at the top of the North Island).

Heading south, to the bottom of the South Island, conditions have been the exact opposite.  In some places they have received a month's average rainfall in the space of 24 hours, with the end result being floods, washed out roads, and many stranded tourists and trampers.

The West Coast of the South Island is well-known for its high rainfall, but this latest storm has been excessive.  The "Coasters" are a pragmatic people, and I enjoyed this poem that was on display in the Haast Visitors Centre when I visited last year.

RAIN
It rained and rained and rained.
The average fall was well maintained,
And when the tracks were simply bogs
It started raining cats and dogs.
After a drought of half an hour
We had a most refreshing shower,
And then, most curious of all,
A gentle rain began to fall.
Next day but one was fairly dry,
Save for one deluge from the sky
Which wetted the party to the skin,
And then, at last - the rain set in!
Anon


Following are some photos I took while driving down the West Coast. 

Omoeroa Stream (been raining)

Fox Glacier (threatening to rain)

Knights Point (it is raining)

Haast Visitor Centre (in between rain showers)

Just to show that it didn't rain ALL the time!


Wherever you are and whatever you are doing, I hope it is all going well for you.
Margaret.



LINKED TO My Corner of the World

8 comments:

  1. That rain poem is perfect for southern B.C. Except today the precipitation is coming down as snow. Huge flakes of wet snow which are forecast to change to rain some time tomorrow.
    I like the way the clouds are 'caught' in the mountains in that last photo.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your photos are really great to see! A few years ago, we were down that way, the scenery is so lovely. We were quite cool today after a bit of rain yesterday. Not my idea of summer, but it is what it is:)

    I'm so glad to see you at 'My Corner of the World' this week!

    My Corner of the World

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful poem.
    Pity they can't send a bit of rain north.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Apt little poem. There have been winters here when I have felt the same way about snow.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The poem could apply to spring in my native province of Newfoundland. It’s east coast gets huge amounts of rain, drizzle and fog.

    I hope the breeze continues, Margaret. I find if there’s a breeze blowing through the house, the hot weather is bearable

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such delightful photos! Love the poem.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hope you get the rain you need to ease restrictions. And I love that little poem.

    Your photos! Oh, they are wonderful. Love them!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The poem sounds like where I live. Enjoyed it and the photos.

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you for visiting my blog. I love it when you leave a comment so please feel free to have your say. Have a great day! Margaret xx