RECIPES

Monday 10 February 2020

A Day Of All Sorts


All sorts of things have happened today.  I’ve wandered around our garden looking at son’s recent handiwork, been out in the car, petted the cat, stewed up some nectarines that were becoming over-ripe, and taken care of tidying the house and doing the dishes.  I still have another two trips out to make, and, of course, need to make time for an afternoon siesta!

Our weather today began pleasantly warm and sunny.  Blue skies, not much breeze, and almost mellow enough to be autumn, but that has changed now we have reached afternoon and the temperature is climbing rapidly.  I know our predicted temperature is 27 degrees C so it will get much hotter later in the afternoon.

My David Austen rose (sorry, I cannot remember its name) has produced a couple more flowers with their lovely sweet scent.  With developing hips on the plant I never expected more blooms.




Today began with a drive through rush-hour traffic to reach a denture-repair technician.  There are some things one cannot do when one has dentures – things like biting an apple or a carrot, crunching on whole nuts, or consuming small seeds like poppy seed or chia or sesame.  I have something to add to the list:- gnawing on a bone! 

Bone gnawing is not a very ladylike activity but pleasurable nevertheless, until a tooth falls off your denture plate.  Thankfully I rescued the tooth and it will only cost $100 (only?) to have the tooth replaced.  It would have cost a lot more if they had needed to match in a new tooth.  The repair will be made today and I will be phoned when I can go and collect my denture again.

On the way home I called at the supermarket for some fish and lettuce and tomatoes for a salad, and spied the New Zealand Gardener magazine on sale.  This issue included a spring bulb advertising pull-out and I have been thinking about planting some bulbs for spring, so it made its way into my trolley.




I used to receive this monthly magazine years ago but gave it up during one of our Times To Be Frugal.  It is packed with many interesting looking articles, ranging from uses for the herb lemon balm, to growing succulents, to creating a food forest, and even 50 tips on how to beat weeds.

Also in the reading pile is our free local weekly newspaper.  This was delivered on Saturday (it comes out on the Friday) but I haven’t read it yet.  Our local City Council has joined the Fight The Landfill recycling programme and our rubbish collection system is set to radically change in the middle of this year.

Instead of two black plastic rubbish bags and one green recycling bin (that takes glass and some plastics), plus tied-up piles of paper, we will be given different bins to use.  The existing recycling bin will handle glass, and a large yellow wheelie bin will be for recycling all plastics, tins, cans, paper and cardboard.  A slightly smaller red wheelie bin will be dedicated to “items that cannot be reused, recycled or donated” and a small green bin will be for food scraps. 

Food scraps will be collected weekly, but the other containers will only be picked up fortnightly (alternate weeks for the different bins).  It is good to see our Council making this effort and I hope Hamilton’s residents will take to it with a willing attitude.




The field behind us is becoming more and more trampled down as the few cattle in there roam around.  The farmer left the grass to grow too long before allowing the animals in there (we thought he must have been going to make hay) and it has now turned to straw.  A real fire hazard while it is this dry, but hopefully nothing will occur to set it off.




Mittens has been keeping me company a lot lately.  She sits at my feet or curls up on the end of the bed and sprawls out purring whenever she is touched.  The other night, around 2am, I opened a window to let in some cooler air while I read for a while (couldn’t sleep).  Imagine how startled I was when Mittens came hurtling in the window to see me!




This evening I am going to have dinner with my brother and his wife.  They have kindly invited me around to meet up with my second cousin from Wellington, who is spending a few days with them.  It should be a very pleasant evening – and I will have my teeth back as well!!!

Cheers,
Margaret.

22 comments:

  1. The pink roses are beautiful...I wish we could smell them. That is a good way to go with the trash...I wish we had recycling here in our town. I always think back to when I grew up we had so little actual trash. We canned all our food, so only had one little flat domed lid when we opened a can of food.

    Mittens is so appealing...I just want to give her a good hug and love.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mittens is one of those loving cats that simply adores human company.

      Delete
  2. I live on a small island which could easily become cluttered with garbage. We have had a system similar to what you describe sine the early 90s. It is a lot of work and takes getting used to but it made a huge difference to the island.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am hoping that it will work well here as at the moment a lot of recyclable items get thrown into the general rubbish, either through laziness or because they are unsure of what goes where (only some of our plastics have so far been collected, depending on their "number").

      Delete
  3. You pack a lot into one day!! Love the pretty pink rose. Our town/city is changing the rules for recycling and most everyone you talk to about it is thoroughly confused. Clearly we need better guidelines.
    Gardening magazines...I have so many back issues so I'm not buying any more until I reread the ones I have. I wonder which perennials will have made it through the winter and what I can buy to replace any that didn't. Fun decisions.
    I hope you had a lovely visit with your brother, SIL, and cousin.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We had a lovely evening together, and today I am having a Slow Day!!

      Delete
  4. What a busy day! Here in Taranaki, we haven't had rain in a while but it's still pretty green. I hope we all get some rain soon!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks like your council are really well organised.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Normally the Council seems to faff around with things, but they are doing well on this one.

      Delete
  6. I love a good gardening magazine, I have kept my monthly Gardeners World for 2 years, so I can refer back to them, I pull out 2 for each month, so far it has worked for me and I have no need to purchase the ones in the shop.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to have a huge collection of gardening magazines thinking that one day I would get "organised" but it never happened and I eventually disposed of them. Many times they repeat the same articles each year, so your system looks like it would work well.

      Delete
  7. Hope tomorrow is a little slower for you- we need to slow down occasionally and smell the roses like the beautiful you featured.
    We also need an occasional treat - like the gardening magazine lol. Enjoy them both and mittens of course. She definitely looks like a cuddly cat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I woke up rather tired after yesterday. My get-up-and-go got-up-and-went!! So I am having a Slow Day, although I still washed all the floors this morning.

      Delete
  8. Gotta have those teeth back in to do justice to the dinner with your brother and his wife - after all they may serve corn on the cob!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL that is something else I cannot eat - I have to cook it and then slice off the kernels!

      Delete
  9. You've had a busy day...interesting too. I have a hard time writing about my day. Mittens is such a pretty cat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Doing the same things every day, week in, week out, just doesn't seem worth writing about does it? But it is always interesting to hear how other people cope with such mundane things.
      Mittens is my grand-daughter's cat but always comes to me when she is not around. She is very loving and loves lots of attention.

      Delete
  10. I spent years reading that same gardening magazine but since we've been renting we haven't had a proper garden, your roses look like they're doing ok despite the water shortages.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I only have the one rose and it is growing in a pot. It gets watered every second night, by hand, and so far seems to be handling things okay.

      Delete
  11. I love reading and re-reading my Gardeners' World magazines. Summer ones really brighten up these cold, winter days with possible planting for the coming spring and summer. Best, Jane x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I got a lot of ideas over the years for my garden from looking at gardening magazines and books. Browsing through them is a great way to spend a miserable cold wet afternoon :)

      Delete

Thank-you for visiting my blog. I love it when you leave a comment so please feel free to have your say. Have a great day! Margaret xx

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.