RECIPES

Wednesday 19 February 2020

Silica Rapids Walk


On Mt Ruapehu (in the central North Island) there is a 4.7 km round-trip to visit the Silica Rapids.  My daughter and I made this walk in the autumn of 2006.




Some of the track leads through patches of native bush.




This area with its swampy seepage ponds reminded me of some scenes in the Lord Of The Rings movies.




There is a lookout over the silica rapids.  The creamy-coloured deposits in the rapids are caused by aluminosilicate in the water.  The reddish orange on the rocks is caused by iron oxide.




Some of the walk is on hilly terrain (it is a mountain, after all!) and these steps lead down into and over the Tawhainui Stream Gorge.




Another stretch of boardwalk led across more swampy land, before the track joined the road and headed back down to the Chateau where the walk had begun.




Apart from the rain that dogged us, this was a most enjoyable walk.  There is something special about getting up into hills at higher altitudes – must be some of my Scottish Highlander ancestry making itself felt!

There are scattered showers floating around our city today.  So far all we have had at home here is a couple of minutes of very light rain at 10am, but that is better than nothing and I know other places have had more.  I hope some of the drought areas are receiving some of it.

Margaret.


LINKED TO My Corner of the World

16 comments:

  1. That's quite a rugged walk. 16 years ago I would probably have been able to walk it but I wouldn't be up to it any more. I like the zig-zag of the board walk and all those steps going down!
    Too bad the rain was so light. Hopefully soon there will be more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It would take me a lot longer to do now but I think I could still manage it.

      Delete
  2. What a walk, the trail looks so well kept steps and all making for a safe hike! Love your photos!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello, what a wonderful walk. I love the view of the water and rapids. The last shot of the trail is great. Wishing you a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like a fabulous place to visit and one that I would enjoy greatly. The lack of rain continues to be discouraging and I, along with many other I am sure, hope that it comes for you soon and provides much needed relief from the drought.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gorgeous walk! Love the picturesque views!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That area is a great place for a wander for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great way to get some exercise and see the beauty around you! Thanks for sharing these awesome images. I couldn't make that hike, but I'm glad you did :)

    I'm so glad you are a part of 'My Corner of the World' this week!

    My Corner of the World

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice area down there for sure. We got three distinct showers yesterday ... one was even PROPER RAIN! But today? Back to not a cloud in the sky. Have a lovely day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I heard there were showers in different parts of the city. We only got the one light sprinkling at home here. Back up to 30C again today. It is making me over-tired, cranky, and I really don't feel like doing anything. Even my laptop is overheating!

      Delete
  9. Oh, what a wonderful hike that would be...I so would love to be able to take it. And that second photo...I just absolutely love it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a glorious walk! And I love the boardwalk.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That looks a great walk. We have showers forecast for Saturday - let's hope we get some.

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you for visiting my blog. I love it when you leave a comment so please feel free to have your say. Have a great day! Margaret xx