RECIPES

Wednesday 12 February 2020

Curio Bay


What a pleasure it is in the morning to draw back the curtain and see the bright-coloured globe of a hot-air balloon suspended in the calm morning sky.   It is perfect ballooning weather and we have been seeing them most mornings lately.

Several years ago my husband and I made a road trip of the South Island.  One of the highlights was visiting the southern region called The Caitlins, where we stopped off to visit the Petrified Forest at Curio Bay.  This is one of only three such accessible fossilised forests in the world.




This petrified forest was believed to have been formed in the Jurassic period around 175 million years ago by a combination of volcanic activity and heavy rain, resulting in rivers of mud, ash and rock that flooded the surrounding forests.




During the floods trees were washed down into this Bay and within months turned to stone as the silica-rich ash in the water impregnated the wood.  These lines in the rocks indicate the presence of tree fossils.




Petrified wood, as found here, is very rare.  Entire logs and stumps were preserved so well because the silification occurred so quickly that decay did not have time to set in.




The waters of the South Pacific Ocean crash along this coastline with some force.  I was lucky to capture this mammoth wave just before it crashed into the headland.




Just another of the wonders found in our beautiful country.

Margaret.


LINKED TO My Corner Of The World





18 comments:

  1. A fascinating site indeed. It would give me a great deal of pleasure to visit this location.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I so would love to visit and see your wonderful country in person...

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful place. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great photos, Margaret, especially that last one with the big wave.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is so much force in those big waves that a person would have little chance of surviving being caught by one.

      Delete
  5. What a unique place. The scenery is just astounding in that part of the country! We have some old stumps in Waverley that some say are petrified, but they sure didn't feel like rocks, just tree stumps :)

    That's a great shot of the wave! I am always in awe of the water when it crashes like that.

    I'm so glad to see you at 'My Corner of the World' this week!

    My Corner of the World

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is beautiful, and the history is very interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We only spent around an hour here but I would have liked to have spent longer and investigated further.

      Delete
  7. What a picturesque place! Love the photos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are many lovely places to visit in The Catlins area, including a lot of very pretty waterfalls.

      Delete
  8. Hello, I love watching the waves crashing. Beautiful coastline and views. Wishing you a happy day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love watching crashing waves as well, and could easily sit for hours watching them as each one is different to its neighbour.

      Delete
  9. Hi Margaret! Thank you for leaving a comment on my blog so I could find you! I look forward to following your blog! Your photos in this post are lovely! I love hearing waves crashing on rocks...but don't get to hear that sound often :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Connie. Lovely to see you here. I love the sound of crashing waves. Some of our coastline is sandy beach and not rocks, but the waves still crash. Love it! :)

      Delete

Thank-you for visiting my blog. I love it when you leave a comment so please feel free to have your say. Have a great day! Margaret xx

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.