RECIPES

Monday 17 July 2023

Sweet Violets

 

Sometimes it is so cheering to see the sun shine.  This morning the yellow globe in the skies (which I believe has been working overtime in the Northern Hemisphere), braved the shower clouds and sent some glorious rays of bright sunshine down into my little garden. 

However the clouds took their revenge and this afternoon is dreary and grey again, but I did manage to sit outside and soak in the sun for a little while. 

That was when I noticed that my Sweet Violet (Viola odorata) is flowering.




I first fell in love with violets when my eldest son suffered croup as a toddler.  The doctor advised holding him in a bathroom full of steam (running the hot tap into the bath) to help him breathe, but there was little else he could do for him.

Around this time, almost by accident, I found a book on herbal remedies that explained how Sweet Violet flowers can help with whooping cough.  With croup being so similar – and having violets flowering in our garden at the time – I decided to try it (recipe below).

That was one of the best things I have ever done.  The results were fantastic – the syrup cut through the croup and halted it immediately.  He still coughed, but the frightening croup was gone.

For many years afterwards, I kept violet blossoms in our freezer ready to use (both of our boys got croup but our daughter never did).

Nowadays, I just appreciate the sweet scent of the flowers.

Margaret 😊

 

This was the original Violet Syrup recipe that I made up:

Put 3oz of fresh violet flowers into a jug and pour on 5 fl. oz. of boiling water.  Cover the jug and let it stand for 24 hours.  Strain out the blossoms.  Add 4oz white sugar to the liquid.  Bring to the boil, stirring until the sugar has dissolved, then remove from the heat and allow to cool.  Cover, and keep stored in the refrigerator.

I used to use a teaspoonful at a time and sometimes would administer another one if needed.  It kept quite a long time in the refrigerator, although now I don’t remember quite how long that was!

11 comments:

  1. Now that is one recipe I have not heard of - I have used crushed leaves for 'itchy bites' and skin infections for years, to great effect. Thank you for sharing that.
    That yellow ball in the sky popped through the clouds here too, but the cold wind meant that it was nasty to be outside, although I did get the washing almost dry on the line....
    Blessings
    Maxine

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember how scary croup sounds. I wish I'd have known about Violet Syrup way back then. GM

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting recipe, worth noting, thank you for sharing. I have violets in my garden, I fell in love with them as a child, they grew in a thorny hedge around a local orchard, I noticed them as I crawled through a space to nick apples, they always remind me of great times. The apple were good as well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had to look up croup - sounds scary for a young child... Well. That yellow thing is not really working hard over here! 22C for July is way too cold...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the colour of the violets . Interesting to hear about their medicinal properties

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've always loved violets...but that recipe, I truly do think some of the "old" remedies are the best. So glad you've shared it so it can be of use to anyone who may need it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello Margaret. I saw your blog name on the comments on Connies Post & New Zealand caught my eye. I am just down the road from you in Te Awamutu!
    Yes the weather has been dreadful & quite gloomy in July - yesterday here was much nicer & we are hopeful for a drier week. Roll on spring I think. Enjoy your week Margaret - thought I would pop by & say Hello! 😊 ... Julie xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Some years ago I learnt that violets could be eaten and have as much vitamin C content as an orange. I like to have a nibble when I see them and introduce grandchildren to the habit. Unfortunately, no violets growing here in Hawaii where I live. My mother remembers making sugared violets to decorate cakes.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds like a great herbal recipe! Such pretty flowers:)

    ReplyDelete
  10. oh gosh croup, I don't think I ever had it but I do remember my siblings having it in winter.

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you for visiting my blog. I love it when you leave a comment so please feel free to have your say. Have a great day! Margaret xx