RECIPES

Friday 7 July 2023

Taste of Life

 

Many years ago, probably the 1980s, I used to own two cookbooks by Julie Stafford – ‘Taste for Life’ and ‘More Taste for Life.’ 

They were written in line with Pritiken diet requirements, but I always found them good for reasonably healthy recipe ideas (although, I confess, I used to use a whole egg instead of two egg whites).

When we moved permanently into a caravan to live, we had to down-size dramatically and these two cookbooks were given away.

Some time ago, I found ‘More Taste for Life’ at a book fair and have since been on the lookout for its companion. 

Today we found each other!  The Lions Club were having their annual book fair, and there, sitting all by itself and looking at me, was the book I have been searching for. 

I found a couple of other books to buy as well, but this one made my day.




It has been cold and grey most of today, and there is more rain in the forecast.  

It is almost time to light the fire for the evening (I try not to have it going during the day, to save on firewood). 

A blanket to wrap up in usually sees me through the day, if I am not out and about doing something.

Margaret 😊

 

18 comments:

  1. I used to have that book but it must have disappeared in one of my moves. Raining all day here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amazing the books you can find at a fair. It's so nice just to look through and sometimes find exactly what you want. Keep warm

    ReplyDelete
  3. Isn't it a warm feeling when you find a friend again. I enjoy using my old cookbooks too - I write, in pencil, the recipes and their page numbers on the inside cover, and some of my books go back to the 70s. Back in the days of "real" ingredients and nothing from a plastic tub, with a long list of E numbers to describe them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A lot of my recipe book collection also dates back to the time of real ingredients. Some of my books are over 100 years old, but they are more interesting to look at rather than use (usually created for large families LOL),

      Delete
  4. How wonderful to find the second book Margaret - it's like finding an old friend - I have kept some of my favourite recipe books too.
    Black frost here today, and rain due overnight....
    Blessings
    Maxine

    ReplyDelete
  5. We have two shelves of cookbooks we hardly look at any more. We get most of our new recipes from the internet.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What an awesome find! When we moved into our RV we sold everything as well. I am now on the search to replace many of books and other items I sold.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Isn't that fun to find something you were missing! I told my husband one day that we are too old to be cold, so we turned the furnace up as I was just hurting and miserable!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you have done that - nothing worse than being cold and miserable, whatever your age xx

      Delete
  8. I would take the cold over this humidex today of 36C. Ugh!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My, you certainly do get extremes of weather. Stay cool xx

      Delete
  9. I'm glad you found the book to complete the duo. Who knows, maybe it's even the one you once donated!!
    GM

    ReplyDelete
  10. Who uses 2 egg whites? What did she do with the yummy yolk?

    Awww, what a sweet story!
    Here it finally warmed up - 30C! Yippee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Egg yolks got discarded - too much fat and cholesterol! Glad that idea has changed now.
      Enjoy your warmer days :)

      Delete
  11. So glad you have a matching pair! I have a few favorites, but need to weed out others. Now for you to dig in, whip up some wonderful recipes, and share with us!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Finding that book must have been like being reunited with an old friend. With my recent downsizing I donated the majority of my cookbooks. One or two I had never used anyway, I always turn to the same trusty two or three. Cold, wet and windy here, I really am over all this rain.

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you for visiting my blog. I love it when you leave a comment so please feel free to have your say. Have a great day! Margaret xx