RECIPES

Saturday 15 July 2023

The Freedom Cup

 

The Freedom Cup is competed for between two of the world’s greatest rugby nations – New Zealand and the Republic of South Africa.

It originated in 2004 as part of the tenth anniversary of South Africa’s first democratic election and is played for on an annual basis.

That was the game we watched tonight, with the Springboks playing the All Blacks in Auckland.  The intensity of play was exceptional and at times it was difficult to keep up with the fast pace.  

It is seldom that we see a referee get cramp and out of breath during a game!

In the end, the All Blacks won by 35 to 20 and we get to retain the Freedom Cup for another year.




Faf de Klerk, who plays for South Africa, would be one of my most favourite rugby players ever.  What an amazing career this man has had.

A pity he doesn’t play for New Zealand!




Have a great weekend everyone 😊

Margaret.

 

6 comments:

  1. I am so glad your team won and that you enjoyed your evening. Sorry to say that I've never watch a rugby game and wouldn't know what was going on. I'm not a big fan of spectator sports but do enjoy watching basketball from time to time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! That must have been an exciting game. Glad "your" team won and keeps the Freedom Cup for the next year. GM

    ReplyDelete
  3. It sounds like an exciting game to watch - it's always much more fun (to me anyway) when it's close and fast-paced!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It was a great game - I ended up watching it, which is quite unusual.... just near the end they showed a SA player absolutely gasping for breath - it certainly was a high intensity game!!
    Blessings
    Maxine

    ReplyDelete
  5. I understand now. Why no one ever share my enthusiasm about American Football! - we love our sort and no one "gets" it!
    To yours, to a great night and yipee on the outcome.
    A Freedom Cup is just what I want - that is the magic of sport! Freedom.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't know much about rugby, but it sounds like it was an exciting game. Congratulations to the winning team!

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you for visiting my blog. I love it when you leave a comment so please feel free to have your say. Have a great day! Margaret xx