RECIPES

Saturday 1 July 2023

Eggs Benedict

 

The start of a new month, and I am drawn to my blog to post a new header.  It seems I have been unintentionally slack with blogging during June.  I guess other things have been occupying my mind!

June has been a fairly quiet month.  We have had rain and we have had sunshine, and we have had frosts and we have had wind.  Typical winter weather for this region.

This last week I was able to meet up with an old friend for lunch.  I had Salmon Eggs Benedict and it was delicious.




It reminded me of the first time I had fresh salmon with Eggs Benedict – it was in America at Glenwood Springs, Colorado.

That time was with Atlantic Salmon, and this time I was eating Pacific Salmon. 




I wonder if the salmon stops to think “I better not cross that line because it is a different ocean.”  Haha, I may perhaps be displaying my ignorance – they might be totally different types of fish!

Have an awesome day,

Margaret 😊


HEADER FOR JULY 2023

The header photo this month is of the Artist’s Palette at the Wai-O-Tapu thermal area in Rotorua (photo taken 2012).  You can see the people in the background – this area is one where it is definitely better to stick to the paths provided!

I have mixed memories of this particular hot pool.  It is beautiful but it is also deadly.  The day we visited was rather windy, and the wind blew a favourite hat off my head – it sailed through the air, over the barrier fence, and settled on to the acidic near-boiling water.  In infinite slow motion, it slowly sunk out of sight.

No doubt the fabric was eaten up and my hat destroyed, but I always wonder if it has been preserved instead and some archaeologist thousands of years from now will one day discover it.  How cool would that be?





 


14 comments:

  1. I don't think I've ever had eggs Benedict. As for the salmon, I don't know if they are different strains but I definitely think they taste different.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmm, the last time I had Eggs Benedict with salmon was in Australia, years ago - I must see if it is on the menu at my favourite local cafe.
    Oh how unfortunate that you lost your hat - no wonder you have mixed feelings about that pool!!
    Blessings
    Maxine

    ReplyDelete
  3. The header is marvellous. I've never eaten eggs benedict. They're on my 'bucket' list

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love Eggs Benedict, though I've not had the salmon version. Shit weather eh?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our place is starting to look like a laundry, trying to dry things beside the fire. Probably should just bite the bullet and go visit a laundrette to dry them LOL.

      Delete
  5. Hmmm, the eggs look perfect.
    Oh, sad about your hat. Happened to me, too. I was high up in a ferries wheel...
    Agree, would be fun if way later somebody found it! Always look on the bright side of life...

    ReplyDelete
  6. That meal looks scrumptious!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Interesting about the hat! That brought a smile this morning!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have never had eggs benedict...not sure I would like them. AS for Salmon there is wild caught, farm raised and Steel Head Trout which we like...there may be others too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like your choice of a header for July. Too bad about your favourite hat though :(
    I've never had Eggs Benedict but then I'm not a fan of eggs in any form. Except as ingredient in a cake perhaps. Granny M

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good to see you again, Margaret. When I see photos of the Whitsundays I always wonder if there is a dolphin wearing my favourite yellow sunhat which I forgot I was wearing when I dived in to swim with them. I love salmon and am partial to eggs but there's something about Hollandaise Sauce that is not to my liking.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Eggs do not agree with me, so, no eggs benedict :-( I often wonder if people actually realise how dangerous some of those pools are. But fascinating, for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Those meals look delicious. They're beautifully presented - a very skilled chef in the kitchen. I'm glad you're back - I had wondered if perhaps you were ill, I've relieved you've just been soggy! Wellington has avoided the bad weather - we've had an extraordinarily calm and gentle June. I do hope you have a better July.

    We've visited the thermal pools here, and also in the US, at Yellowstone, which was incredible. Makes you aware of the power of nature, doesn't it!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wherever the salmon came from, it looks delicious!
    Love the hat story!
    hugs
    Donna

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you for visiting my blog. I love it when you leave a comment so please feel free to have your say. Have a great day! Margaret xx
(Unfortunately blogger won't let me post comments on other blogs at the moment - but I am still reading them!)