RECIPES

Wednesday 10 May 2023

My Hyacinths Are Confused

 

This afternoon, during a short break between rain showers, I went for a wander to check on my potted plant babies.

They are all doing well – although some are looking rather bedraggled with all the rain.  I’m sure they will perk up again when the sun comes back.

I planted three hyacinths in this trough, hoping for some fragrant flowers next spring.  However, after only 4-5 weeks, here they are preparing to flower!




I’ve always believed that hyacinths needed to be chilled before they could flower – hence, the planting them in autumn to get cold over winter.  Then they will burst forth and flower when the temperatures rise again. 

Well, that was meant to be The Plan anyway.

I’m not sure what is happening with these ones.  Our weather has been warmer than usual this autumn, and certainly nothing cold enough for chilling bulbs.  Perhaps they were commercially chilled before I bought them? 

Who knows?  Their fragrance will still be enjoyed anyway.




I wasn’t the only one taking advantage of a short break of fine weather.  This praying mantis was sitting on some grass drying itself off.

Have a happy day 😊

Margaret.

 

5 comments:

  1. Praying Mantises are really fascinating insects. Great to have them in your garden; I am sure they are less confused than the hyacinths.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Western Canada needs some of that rain. It is already too dry and on fire. If it’s not one thing, it’s another!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How odd that your Hyacinths are blooming now! I wonder if they'll bloom again in spring. Granny M

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh dear - my freesias are up already also - wonder if they will flower early?? And yes, the weather is certainly changeable at the moment - it didn't get over 9 degrees here today
    Blessings
    Maxine

    ReplyDelete
  5. A fire sounds wonderful to me...even with summer almost fully here.

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you for visiting my blog. I love it when you leave a comment so please feel free to have your say. Have a great day! Margaret xx