RECIPES

Friday 12 May 2023

A Day Out

 

My monthly excursions out of the city have not been happening this year, but today I made up for that and went north to visit Waiuku, a small township near Pukekohe.  I had an ulterior motive for my visit – there were some graves in the cemetery there that I wanted to photograph.

After all the rain we have had the last ten days, today was gloriously fine and sunny and a perfect day for wandering around a cemetery!

Then it was a ten minute drive west to Karioitahi Beach (don’t ask me how you pronounce it!!) on the coast, where I enjoyed lunch while looking out at the Tasman Sea.

The tide was on the turn and the waves were rather turbulent.  I watched one extra large wave rush up the beach, so avoided getting too close to the water!

Many of the waves were a dirty brown colour from all the sand sediment that was being churned up.




From there, it was a pleasant drive through countryside to reach Clarks Beach on the Manukau Harbour.  Not much to see here except Auckland Central on the horizon and a proliferation of large expensive-looking homes.

Just up the road was the Waiau Pa Cemetery (more photographs!).  It was situated beside this charming Presbyterian Church that was built in 1914.




Tonight we have another Chiefs rugby match to watch, and then I am looking forward to a quiet weekend enjoying some of the forecast sunny weather.

Might even get out in my garden for a while 😊

Margaret.

 

12 comments:

  1. Waiuku. Oh boy that brings back memories. I had a great uncle who lived there and I visited with my grandmother. A hundred years ago lol. But I always remembered it.
    Lovely beach photo and that classic wooden church.
    What a nice day out

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope you located the graves in the cemetery which was the reason for your outing in the first place.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The sunshine is such a treat after several days of gloomy weather!
    Looks like a wonderful little trip. That church is so charming.
    Enjoy your weather!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great day to get out and about. I would not attempt to pronounce Karioitahi either!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've since been told it sounds something like carry-oi-tar-hee :)

      Delete
  5. Aww the beach looks great, nice for you to get out and about!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I amuse myself by trying to pronounce the various names of places etc..
    Glad you had such a lovely day. GM

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds like a lovely day Margaret - and today has also been beautiful, but cold!!!
    Blessings
    Maxine

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds like a great day! 😘 only 10 months to my visit to the ocean - so long please share! x

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like to see what you show us..that church is a beauty...

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you for visiting my blog. I love it when you leave a comment so please feel free to have your say. Have a great day! Margaret xx