RECIPES

Sunday 19 July 2020

Me And Some Birds

Thank-you so much to everyone for their comments on my Headache post.  Unfortunately it developed into a migraine but this afternoon I am (thankfully!) coming out the other side.  I still feel rather fragile and have difficulty concentrating (a bit like having concussion), but am on the mend.

I said I would post a few more bird photos from Otorohanga Kiwi House, and I am doing that now as they were all ready to go.

 * * * * * * *

There were no kiwis on display when I visited, but I did manage to see some other birds.

This Grey Teal (Anas gracilis) (Maori name tete moroiti) is a small nomadic dabbling duck that was self-introduced from Australia.



The Blue Ducks (Hymenolaimus malacorhynchos) (Maori name whio) are now a “nationally vulnerable” species with a declining population.  They prefer clear fast-flowing rivers as a habitat, but their ground-built nests are very vulnerable to mammalian predators (especially stoats and opossums).



The Morepork (Ninox novaeseelandiae) (Maori name ruru) is New Zealand’s most common owl.  It can be found in both native and plantation forests and will dwell in city areas with a lot of trees.  A night hunter, it takes its name from its distinctive call, which sounds like “more-pork.”



New Zealand Falcons (Falco novaeseelandiae) (Maori name karearea) are often confused with Australasian harrier hawks, but falcons are smaller, fly faster, and seldom eat carrion.  Captive breeding and release programmes are slowly having an effect, and once endangered populations are now increasing.



Have a happy weekend J

Margaret


16 comments:

  1. Nice assortment of birds. That little Owl is cute; do you hear its call often?
    I'm glad your migraine is over and you're on the mend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have heard it where we currently live, but not for a while.

      Delete
  2. Glad you are beginning to feel on the mend...I enjoyed seeing these birds.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am glad your migraine is improving. Luckily, I seem to have grown out of them as I got older. Lovely bird photos. I well remember finding a baby morepork on my upturned wheelbarrow in the carportin the daytime when we lived further north.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank goodness you are coming right. Get strong quickly.
    I remember the sound of the morepork in the dark and silence of the night. My father could mimic him and often would.
    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love to hear its haunting sound on a quiet night. How awesome that your father could mimic them.

      Delete
  5. We hope the headache doesn't afflict you too often. Great bird post. I spent years working in NZ forest service after i left school, some of it in conservation work and never saw a kiwi. I've never seen a kiwi even in captivity and only ever heard them at Okarito. Really pleased to see the falcon breeding is starting to pay off.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well I'm glad that you are coming out of the other side of the migraine.

    Interestingly I'm not sure whether I've seen a New Zealand falcon. Plenty of the Australasian ones of course. There was a Morepork in a tree near The Cottage and it was a joy to hear it. I rarely saw it though because it was a very very tall tree.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not surprised you rarely saw it. They are so small and so well camouflaged - I have only ever seen a couple of them even though they are often heard.

      Delete
  7. Sorry to hear about you really falling into migraine. I didn´t believe in acupuncture and asked the doc. He said he has no idea but was in China to learn at least how to do it.
    Maybe his honesty helped? Maybe try another doc?

    For now, enjoy the birds and I´d like to see a Kiwi :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Glad to hear that you are recovering from that dreadful headache, Margaret, although I suspect that your head will remain a little tender for a while. Thanks for the images of some of your fabulous birds. New Zealand has been very effective in eliminating invasive mammalian predators from offshore islands. Perhaps there is a way that predatory introduced species such as stoats could be eradicated on the mainland too. A mammoth and difficult task no doubt, but necessary.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello,
    I am glad you are feeling better, migraines are awful. I love all your bird photos. The Owl and Falcon are my favorites. Have a happy day and a great new week!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the bird photos. That owl is such an interesting creature all puffed up as it is.

    Migraines are the pits! Hope it resolves quickly!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I enjoyed your bird photographs.
    So pleased that you are recovering from that awful headache and feeling better.
    Do take care, and look after yourself.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  12. What glorious birds! Thanks so much for sharing.

    So sorry about the migraine. I get them... and I had one a day ago too. They are awful. I'm so glad that you're better now.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am glad to hear you are on the mend after the migraine - I had those days afterwards when you feel as though you have a 'bruised brain'. Your photos are wonderful, Margaret, and I love the information you have with them too.
    Stay safe
    Blessings
    Maxine

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you for visiting my blog. I love it when you leave a comment so please feel free to have your say. Have a great day! Margaret xx