RECIPES

Monday 6 July 2020

Family History : Recording Stories

What really interests me with genealogy is the actual lives of my ancestors.  I love to dig into census records and old diaries, to fossick through local newspapers of the time, and hunt for headstones and christening records.  Talking to people about their life stories was so interesting.

I used to do a lot of research using microfiches at the public library, but now most of it is done online. 



Initially, I record what I find in a notebook before transferring it to the computer.  Over the years I have developed two ways of doing this.

The first is a timeline, and this is often added beneath the personal details on the Family Page.  It can look like this:

o    1823 described in his father’s will as being “of Falkirk, tailor”

o    1851 census records John, head of house, living at East Street, Falkirk, age 76 years, widower, ‘retired tailor’ – living with him was George BROWN, nephew, age 38, labourer, and Emily FORSYTH, servant, age 56

o    1886 grandson James Walter McKEE wrote in his memoirs that his grandfather “had a long bushy white beard that he used to stroke slowly whenever he was thinking about something”




The other method I use is in the form of a biography.  This works well if there is a lot of information or the story itself is extremely interesting.  Sometimes I use both methods together, with the timeline making up the outline of what is in the biography.



Occasionally I also write out a separate story, such as the transcription of the diary one of my grandmothers kept on her year’s journey back to the Home Country of England.



As you can see, any method that works for you is the best method to use.  And, of course, it is much easier to do this on a computer than by hand writing it all like I used to do.

Take care J

Margaret.



PART ONE of this series can be found here

16 comments:

  1. I love family histories and stories, too, Margaret. Last year I was at a Marae studying te reo Maori, and of course we had to do our family tree, going back through one parent. I chose my mother, and went back through the female line. I loved doing it, and, found a photo of my great grandmother - I have her facial bone structure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it gives us a sense of grounding knowing where we have come from. That must have been a great experience for you.

      Delete
  2. I love looking at your old photo's, we don't have many family photo's from before 1960, which is a shame.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it was because the family knew that I loved genealogy that they gave me so many photos. I've been very lucky that way.

      Delete
  3. I too enjoy the 'story' side of family history - I was just talking about family stories with a friend today!
    Love your photos - if only they could talk!
    Stay safe
    Blessings
    Maxine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The story side brings the ancestors to life, they were real people with real problems and real joys - just like us today :)

      Delete
  4. This really sounds so interesting! Just to imagine to travel to England all the way back then, this sounds tough!
    There is nothing to find on my family. All the little bits and pieces I had to beg for. And now they´re all gone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My grandmother had to travel by passenger ship to get there and back and it was some journey. Have you looked online for information? Often there are things that can be found in old newspapers or court documents. You might be surprised how much you can discover (I love finding all the family skeletons, some are really hard to unearth - it is like a treasure hunt!).

      Delete
  5. Hello,

    Your family photos are a treasure. It is great to know the details and stories of you family. I spent a day with my cousins visiting old family grave sites. I am sorry I do not have more photos to go with the stores. Enjoy your day, have a great new week!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What an interesting concept. It is so much fun. I love looking at the old photos. Thank you for sharing!

    https://nanchi.blog/

    ReplyDelete
  7. I would love reading about your family. In fact, my favorite type of memoir, biography, autobiography to read is of UN-famous people. Love your old photos, too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wonderful old photos. I agree that the stories are fascinating!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the old pictures and can imagine how much fun you're having delving into the past. A great winter project.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You are going to have a fascinating History when it is finishes - but then history is never finished is it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is so true. I made contact very recently with a researcher in England and we are now busy trading information about a particular family we are both interested in. It is a quest that never seems to end.

      Delete
  11. You have great old photos. I have to write names on the ones I plan to pass down.

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you for visiting my blog. I love it when you leave a comment so please feel free to have your say. Have a great day! Margaret xx