RECIPES

Thursday 9 July 2020

Camera Woes

I escaped the City again today and took along my camera WITH the card in it this time.  But when I came to upload the photos all I could get were blank folders. 

It took son and I about an hour to figure out that my camera actually has TWO cards in it – and guess where all my photos were!

Not only today’s and last week’s photos, but also photos from last year that I hadn’t been able to access.



Lake Kainui, which took me around 30 minutes to drive to, is located within the peat bog area of Horsham Downs.  Unfortunately, water quality is often very poor (partly from the peat), and there are signs up warning people not to touch the water or to allow their dogs to drink it.



I only went for a short walk as I never had gumboots with me.  Apart from a small section, the path around the Lake is a grass walk and with the recent rain was very muddy.


  

I enjoyed watching some of the bird life in the area, but most of them were very wary – possibly because of all the children and dogs that were roaming around (we are in the first week of winter school holidays).



I saw all the usual birds (sparrows, thrush, blackbirds, goldfinches, starlings, pukekos, mynahs and a magpie), but was happy to also see a tui, a couple of fantails, and several kingfishers.



Out on the water there were cormorants and Canada geese.  The lake is closed to the public during duck shooting season, when hunters are allowed to shoot here.



It was a pleasant couple of hours.  I am going to try and do this each week if I can – escape the city and take some time out in nature.

These are some sparrows I saw last week.



Have a great day everyone J

Margaret.


15 comments:

  1. Wasn't it a wonderful day to be out and about - loving your photos Margaret. I have been out pruning roses - a bit earlier than usual, but it needs to be done early this year!
    Stay safe
    Blessings
    Maxine

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great capture of the kingfishers. You have clearly got some really great nature around where you live.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is startling, and quite sad really, that the bird list contains so many introduced species, but I am sure that it not detract for a moment from the pleasure at seeing them, nor would it have done for me. Thanks goodness you resolved the issue with the memory cards, or you might have been fussing with the camera forever! Getting out into nature every week would be quite a tonic, I believe. I do it virtually every day. My daughter always jokes, "If my dad doesn't see a bird for an hour he gets the shakes!"

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello,
    I am glad you found your photos. Lovely views from your walk. The kingfisher is a favorite, but I love all the birds. Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That was a great idea Margaret. Thanks for taking us along.

    ReplyDelete
  6. A lovely area to look at nature. Thank goodness you found all your photos. What a great surprise

    ReplyDelete
  7. Take us along if you do get out! I love seeing what you see...this place would be one I would love to go.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Much as I love all (most!) birds I am especially fond of Fantails. One used to come into my cottage and sit on the back of the chair on the other side of my round table to where I was sitting. Then s/he would fly around The Cottage catching wee insects that I couldn't see. S/he used to fly into my bedroom which had ranch sliders down one wall onto the deck. S/he never flew into a window like other birds. Sorry a bit irrelevant to your post but the post just sent me off down memory lane.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to love the fantails coming inside. They are the one bird I know that never flies into glass and can always find its way outside again. Clever little things :)

      Delete
  9. Nice that you and your son were able to find out what the problem was with your camera and that you now can access all your photos.
    That lake and the surroundings look like a good place to walk and see birds. Too bad the water quality is poor. The lake that I walk by every day has signs up saying water quality is poor and people should not swim or even wade. Nothing about dogs drinking the water though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know dogs have got sick from drinking contaminated water - even sea water that has algae bloom will make a dog sick as well as people. There still appeared to be fish living in the lake water as the cormorants and kingfishers were both diving in.

      Delete
  10. Great that you found your missing photos.

    ReplyDelete
  11. How interesting that your camera takes two cards. I don't think mine does (Canon EOS 70D), though I tend to use my phone camera a lot more now. Lovely photos of the lake and birds. We must go there sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Good to find a ll your photos!! Who knew about 2 cards?? Glad your son did. I enjoyed seeing your photos:)

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you for visiting my blog. I love it when you leave a comment so please feel free to have your say. Have a great day! Margaret xx
(Unfortunately blogger won't let me post comments on other blogs at the moment - but I am still reading them!)