RECIPES

Monday 13 July 2020

Family History : References

When you share your family history research with another person and they ask, “How do you know that?” it is helpful if you can tell them!  Having references to your notes allows you to add authentication to your research.



Unfortunately I never knew this when I first started researching, almost fifty years ago, and I find I now hold some vital information that cannot be verified in any way (a lot of my early knowledge came via my paternal grandmother who was in contact with extended family living overseas).

However, I have been trying to rectify this and have spent much time over the last several years hunting up things online and gathering references for them.


  

When I add information to the Family Page I use, I like to add a reference with it.  For example:

Christening                          Sunday 27 August 1775 Slamannan, Stirlingshire, Scotland 118

Father                                  #224   John BROWN 118  264

Mother                                #224   Elizabeth BROWN nee McDONALD 000


At the end of my Family Page I will write the references:

SOURCES OF INFORMATION FOR FAMILY #112

118               Scottish Births & Baptisms 1564-1950

264               Wills : John Brown (#224), held at Scottish Records Office

000               Unknown source of information






I have another folder where I record all my reference information in depth.  This can take many pages for each branch of the family, but does work to keep all my research together and easily accessible if required.

These entries can look like this:


SOURCE #81    England & Wales Marriage Registration Index 1837-2005

The information here was sourced from findmypast.com.au 

#030  Raymond & Georgiana White : WHITE Raymond Alexander – spouse: Georgiana Eliza COPELAND – marriage quarter: Apr-May-Jun – marriage year: 1862 – district: Marylebone – county: London





Of course, this is only an example of how I reference my research.  Look around and find a system that suits what you want to do – and I highly recommend that you do use some form of referencing for your information.

Stay happy J

Margaret

 

Part 1 of this series (Family History: Getting Started) can be found HERE


10 comments:

  1. I need to do more family research...I have done some and keeping track of references is such a good idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Margaret, this is such treasures. Not just the photos but also the information you shared to us. Love the living room with all the houseplants! Houseplants are getting a very big hype here in the Philippines and I think it's something very nice since people will get to appreciate nature so much more and make it even close to them

    ReplyDelete
  3. There is so much that is held in memories and shared verbally that is fast becoming lost - well done on recording all that you have, and referencing it so well
    Stay safe
    Blessings
    Maxine

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello,

    Your photos and references are family treasures. You are doing a great job researching your family.
    Take care! Enjoy your day, have a great new week!

    ReplyDelete
  5. My brother takes care of updating the family tree that my Maternal Great Uncle spent a great deal of his life compiling by visiting churches all over the country following leads. No computer records then.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You sure are doing a great job...giving info on where you gotvthecinfirmstion is a wonderful idea.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such great advice Margaret. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. When my sister collected information on our family she had to rely heavily on the stories people would tell her. Sometimes there would be little discrepancies but we just have to live with it. I'm happy for what we could assemble. It's a lot of work.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You are so careful and diligent! I love this project.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Family treasures, it's quite a project!

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you for visiting my blog. I love it when you leave a comment so please feel free to have your say. Have a great day! Margaret xx