RECIPES

Tuesday 30 June 2020

Thankfulness

There are lots of things I can be grateful for in my life – I only need to look around and recognize them.

Tuesday is my weekly shopping day and I went to our local supermarket this morning and was amazed to see how many empty shelves there were.  Even the freezers were almost completely empty.  I have no idea why, as they were full last week, but I was thankful they had everything that I wanted.

One of my purchases was a large packet of mincemeat, which I have now cooked up with lentils and vegetables and turned into two meals to be frozen.  I also bought a smoked fish (smoked trevally) that was made into fish cakes for dinner tonight – and then promptly forgot to take a photo!


Hamilton never receives snow like this that I saw on my last visit to Arizona

We have had a few light showers during the day but tomorrow is forecast to be fine and sunny – after a frost.  It might be hard to get out of bed in the morning, but I am happy that our house stays reasonably warm.

I am also thankful for our three cats as they bring a lot of companionship into my life.  I almost walked on Millie when I went down to my room as she was asleep on my sheepskin rug and I never saw her.  She is so black that she blends into the shadows and it is only her bright green eyes that show where she is.

I am grateful to live in a world full of the beauty of nature, to be able to enjoy sunsets and bird song and majestic landscapes.

Being thankful for the little things in life helps me to be more contented and at peace with the world.

I like to take time to stop and step back from all the strife happening in the world around me, and appreciate the little things that can bring happiness into my life.

Margaret J


11 comments:

  1. We don't get snow like we used to. It's snows in Scotland and on the mountains, but we haven't seen a flake here for years now. A couple of years ago when the 'Beast from the East' struck and caused havoc countrywide, all we got were a few flurries that didn't settle; I suppose we were lucky really. Our mid summer temps have dropped to below 20c and we've had loads of wind and rain. Take care, Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am not sure I consciously take the time to ponder what causes me to be thankful, but I can tell you that I have spent my entire life immersed in nature and I am sure that permeates my being every day. When I am away from it for a day or two, for unavoidable reasons, I feel antsy until I can go for a walk in the woods again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think a lot like you...a day like yesterday wears me out, but then I think at least I can do it...at least there are drs to deal with and I can drive is to where we need to go.

    And, I often wonder how our ancestors survived the winters here when the country was just being settled because winters can be really cold. And I am always thankful for air conditioning.

    ReplyDelete
  4. In a world where lots of people make themselves unhappy in a mad pursuit of happiness, being contented is a really good place to be. I have heard contentment derided as 'settling for less' but my contentment is my happiness, and yours appears to be so too. Thank you for the gentility of your blog, it glows with contentment.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello,
    It is nice you have your kitties to cuddle up with. Nature is beautiful, always lovely sights to see if we just look. Take care, Enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Like you we rarely have snow although it's not unknown. I am fortunate to have have been born a happy person. When I lived in New Zealand I often posted a Thankful Thursday post because of Jaz (who no longer blogs) who is one of the most positive people I know. It is good to reflect on or good fortune.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I wonder why shelves that were full last week would be so empty this week. Strange. Did you find most of what you went for? I need sweet peppers for tomorrow and last time the ones I saw were not nice at all. I hope today I'll find better ones.
    Thankfulness is a wonderful way to live life. Sure there's always something to worry or gripe about but since it does no good worrying or griping we might as well be as happy as possible.

    ReplyDelete
  8. And that's what we all should do. We have been leaving the TV off and enjoying sitting on the porch, listening to the bull frogs. It sure is a lot more relaxing. Thank you for a good post.

    ReplyDelete
  9. We don't get snow up here we it has been nippy at night and in the early hours of the morning but we havent had any trouble in the 2 supermarkets we have here yet, the products we buy are usually there but I did read in Australia people are stockpiling yet again which seems crazy.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am thankful to have found your blog from beautiful New Zealand Margaret.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love this post Margaret - contentment is great gain - it is so easy to get distracted by the negative news, rather than looking at positive things we have around us, like family and friends, furry companions and a warm home... although today was not particularly warm - we started at -2 oC, and got to 9 oC, with a note of 'feels like' 5 oC! The joys of a southerly off the Central Plateau!
    Stay safe
    Blessings
    Maxine

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you for visiting my blog. I love it when you leave a comment so please feel free to have your say. Have a great day! Margaret xx