RECIPES

Monday 22 June 2020

Family History : Getting Started

Getting started recording your family history is really easy.  You begin with your own details – when and where you were born, what schools you attended, the career you have followed, the places you have lived etc. – and then record details about your parents and their siblings, then  back to their parents and so on.



I used to keep a special notebook for recording any information I knew or found out, before entering it onto my Family Sheets (which I will talk about next week).



Once you have recorded everything you know, then you will be ready to go searching for more information.  Ask relations (especially the older ones) – perhaps there are wills or birth certificates or land ownership documents or even a family Bible that you can look at. 

Always be sensitive and respectful when asking people for information as some don’t want to talk about it and others may be concerned about their privacy.



Visit cemeteries and see what is written on headstones.  Look online at census records, electoral rolls, indexes of births deaths and marriages, cemetery records, and so on.  A lot of internet sites now ask for payment but there are still some free ones around. 

Joining a community genealogy group can sometimes open up different avenues for searching.  I got a lot of my early information through searching microfiches at our local library.



Always remember that there will be mistakes.  Not all records are correct, not everyone’s memory is perfect.  Discovering what really happened in the past is a bit like a treasure hunt, and sometimes we can only make assumptions and not know for sure.



WARNING!  Once you begin tracing back your family history it can become very addictive – and a lot of fun J

Margaret.



PART ONE of this series can be read here

13 comments:

  1. It's so interesting seeing who pops up on your family tree, names, times, places. We have someone on both sides who keeps us up to date

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful fotos. We have nothing but three old fotos from my Dad´s side. My family never spoke about the past, I only found out some bits and pieces...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You might be surprised what you could find if you started digging :)
      Only sometimes we find things we don't want to know. My grandmother was absolutely horrified when I told her she was descended from an Australian convict!

      Delete
  3. I have seen people become quite obsessive over "family" hunting - it does not really worry me... but that's who I am. I do appreciate the old photos though
    Stay safe
    Blessings
    Maxine

    ReplyDelete
  4. Not a passion for me in any way, Margaret, so my comments on posts on this topic will be pretty limited or absent.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello,

    Great advice and I enjoyed your family photos. I started mine ancestry research on the website Ancestry dot com. I kind of got stuck at one point. Enjoy your day, have a great new week ahead!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You have some great photos! Great advice too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Some of F's family are obsessed with family trees, but F is more interested in how the family she knew personally lived their lives; and it is good to have those photographs isn't it? The pictures themselves tell a lot of the family history. Putting it all together possibly becomes more important to us as we got older and have more changes to look back on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is the part I enjoy - knowing where and how my ancestors lived. I'm not that interested in rows and rows of names and dates LOL

      Delete
  8. I love the old black and white photos. Do you know who the people in the pictures are? I have some old photos that have nothing written on the back and no one seems to know who they were.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know all the people except the two ladies by the car. That photo was taken in England by my husband's grandfather and all I know is that they were family members of his.

      Delete
  9. it's taken me about 7 years to get where I am today with my family history. There's one side I can't find no matter where or how hard i look. I use family search which is a free site but I've found such places as papers past, historical births deaths and marriages, heritage nz and digital nz as really handy online sites to look for information.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Papers Past is a great site. I have found out so much information from newspaper archives.

      Delete

Thank-you for visiting my blog. I love it when you leave a comment so please feel free to have your say. Have a great day! Margaret xx