RECIPES

Friday 5 June 2020

Girls Weekend Away

It is Friday today and this afternoon I am heading to Taupo with two other lovely ladies for a couple of nights “on the town” – although we are all probably a bit past that now! 

It will take us about two hours driving to reach Taupo and we have a nice motor-lodge room booked for us all.  The weather forecast is for Cold Weather but it should hopefully be fine.  I can handle cold better than rain when wanting to do a bit of sight-seeing.

We have a few places planned to visit on Saturday but other than that it should be a fairly relaxed time away.  It will be rather strange traveling at this time, but I think we will be alright.  New Zealand has had no new Covid cases for nearly two weeks now, and we should hopefully be dropping to Level One next week (life as normal except our international borders will remain closed).



I was horrified last evening to go out to my garden and find the broccoli had more than doubled in size during the last week.  I have picked the three large ones as they will keep better in the fridge – if I leave them on the plant they will be yellow flowers in a day or two. 

The biggest broccoli was twice the size of the heads we normally buy.  I weighed it – it came in at 1200g (about 2.5 lbs)!  No James and the Giant Peach here – it is Margaret and the Giant Broccoli!!!! 

Wishing everyone a very happy and peaceful weekend J 

See you all again on Monday, 

Margaret.


13 comments:

  1. Enjoy your weekend - lovely broccoli

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have a good get away! It sounds like fun. And I could help you eat the broccoli if I were there, or I could fix us broccoli soup!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Margaret and the Giant Broccoli... that made me laugh out loud.
    I hope you have a wonderful time with your friends relaxing and doing some sight-seeing. Take lots of pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That looks really splendid, wholesome broccoli. It's a crop I've never grown although it should do well here.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello, enjoy your girl's trip, sounds like a fun time. The broccoli looks huge..Enjoy your day, have a happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have never seen broccoli so big. Enjoy your time away. Much as New Zealand benefits from tourism I think I might ask the politicians to ban international arrivals forever!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh My Margaret! These are HUGE Broccolis! Love Love Love home grown produce! We harvested like 8 pieces of long beans last Tuesday and they may be few but I had so much fun eating them in our chicken-tamarind soup :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Noble broccoli Margaret! Have a great vacation!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I hope you have a great weekend, it sounds great to go away with some friends. Wow, you have really done well growing Broccoli!

    ReplyDelete
  10. The broccoli looks amazing.
    Enjoy your weekend, safe travels.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  11. Broccoli's seem to do really well in Autumn. Last year I grew some in the last vege garden we had and they were enormous. Hope you enjoy your girls weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  12. That was a major broccoli harvest! Are you going to make cream of broccoli soup? One of my favourites.
    Enjoy your ladies weekend away, we are not able to do such things yet.

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you for visiting my blog. I love it when you leave a comment so please feel free to have your say. Have a great day! Margaret xx