RECIPES

Tuesday 9 June 2020

Lava Glass


Lava Glass Studio and Gallery is near Taupo and we stopped here over the weekend.  Lynden Over is the resident glass artist, and he uses a technique of trailing coloured glass in layers over each piece he creates, resulting in a totally unique and collectible work of art. 

There is a Sculpture Garden attached to the Gallery that contains over 600 individually blown pieces of glass artwork.


Glass rainbow

Glass tulips

Glass balls

In his Volcanic Series, Lynden Over explores the geological landscape of New Zealand for inspiration and has created collections representing the colours and shapes he has discovered.






While wandering the Gallery I found a small vase that I immediately fell in love with.  It belongs to the Wonderful Wai (wai is Maori for water) collection with vivid turquoise and blue colours and I was unable to resist purchasing it.




My friends and I never went to the glassblowing demonstration but we did have a bite to eat at the café before continuing our exploration of Taupo. 

I hope you day is a happy one J 

Margaret.


14 comments:

  1. Yes, it certainly is a beautiful vase! I have a set of 6 hand blown tumblers packed away in my shed. I never wanted to bring them out when I had little ones but I think now that the kids have all flown it may be the time ;o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It always seems a shame to not enjoy the things we own, so I hope you unpack them and get much joy out of them.

      Delete
  2. I can see why you purchased the vase it is beautiful, I love glass in all forms.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful! The rainbow is my fav, but they´re all beautiful!
    I think a demostration of how it´s done would be too hot for me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can see how that vase worked its way into your wallet! I would have been a sucker for paperweights.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, my, I could have spent a lot of time there. I love the piece you brought home. It is gorgeous. But then, they all are.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Margaret!!! That is so beautiful!!! Take it from me, you did a very good job in not resisting this purchase! LOOK HOW BLUE THAT IS! And you can see how beautiful its form is. It looks like it has a matte finish to me which added so much class to it :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was told the pieces are sandblasted after completion to make them matte. The vase still has texture - you can feel the ridges at the top and the 'waves' are slightly raised.

      Delete
  7. Beautiful work! I can understand why you bought that colour. I would have too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful glass pieces. I like all of them but the one you chose is exquisite.

    ReplyDelete
  9. oh I've never been there, I'll have to remember it next time we go there.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That vase is beautiful! What a nice trip you had! Good company and good food too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh Margaret that piece you bought is magnificent - of the ones you showed, I think Desert Rd is my favourite - I am very partial to red glass.
    Stay safe
    Blessings
    Maxine

    ReplyDelete
  12. Gorgeous, I would have bought one too!

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you for visiting my blog. I love it when you leave a comment so please feel free to have your say. Have a great day! Margaret xx