RECIPES

Friday 19 June 2020

It's Been A While

This morning I returned to my beloved Hamilton Gardens, for the first time in three months.  It was early in the morning but not too chilly, although it was a little misty (it was 7 degrees Celsius).



The sickly smell of rotting fruit assailed my nostrils as I drew near to this bank.  Nobody had collected the nashi pears fallen from the overhead tree, and the bank was alive with birds feasting on the bounty.



The birds were mostly blackbirds.



But there were quite a few little waxeyes (also known as silvereyes) as well.



The heavenly scent of wintersweet was much nicer than the rotting nashis!



A large patch of daphne was also spreading its heady fragrance out over the pathway.



I love the golden butter-yellow fallen leaves of the gingko tree.  Most trees around the city have now lost their leaves but this one is sheltered from the worst of the winds.



A thrush was enjoying a worm breakfast among the leaves.



I walked past this bridge as I returned to the carpark.  The sun was at just the right angle to light up the trees on the far side of the bridge, making some attractive reflections.



The remainder of my day I have spent at home, quietly pottering around doing this and that and not much of anything in particular.  

I hope your day is a happy one J  

Margaret.


14 comments:

  1. Those gardens are beautiful - love your bird shots, and the reflected trees are fabulous. I have often stopped there when visiting Hamilton, and i must go again next time I come up.
    Stay safe
    Blessings
    Maxine

    ReplyDelete
  2. Margaret those gardens are truly magnificent. Since leaving home I have come to appreciate why NZ sometimes gets described as God's garden. I'm a great fan of trees - the Geraldine in South Canterbury used to be a great fav as kid. Dad loved to take us there to admire the trees that could grow to excellent form around Geraldine. It seemed to be a rare protected corner in the foothills of our wind ravaged plain. Your beautiful park reminds me very much of those trips.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I stopped in Geraldine last year when I was in the South Island, and thought it was a lovely town :)

      Delete
  3. 7C is chilly indeed! But truly beautiful.
    Maybe I´m glad I can´t smell what I see, though ;-)
    To a happy day, Ix

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do love autumn; it's my favourite season. I used to love winter, but nowadays it's just cold and wet. I remember hard, freezing frosts and knee deep snow, but we don't seem to get them anymore :( The weather has turned very wet here but very muggy too. Enjoy your wonderful autumn. Best, Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  5. I welcome the idea of the fruit being left for the birds, but I hope that fermentation was not far advanced. Birds are known to become inebriated after eating too much!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello, it is a shame the pears were wasted. I guess the birds did get to enjoy them. The Autumn trees are lovely, the bridge scene is beautiful. Enjoy your day, have a happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  7. There is an avenue of gingko trees outside our local theatre. I collected a handful of the leaves last autumn and I have been using them to print with.... such a lovely shape and texture.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I would have loved to go on this walk. I LOVE Gingko trees, and that bridge is just beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Isn’t it wonderful to get back to your old haunts after the Covid isolation?

    ReplyDelete
  10. gorgeous views you took us to Margaret! The Ginkgo is my favorite. It is a very symbolic tree for the far east countries such as Japan and China, symbolizes beauty in losing and the hope and promise that comes with it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lovely photos. What a shame about the Nashi being left to rot during Lockdown.

    ReplyDelete
  12. How lovely that you could go to walk around that gorgeous area. You don't mention how far you have to go to get there but I assume it's relatively close so hopefully you can go often now. Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've only been there once and it was to the Victorian section, but such a shame about the pears, they could be donating those to homeless centres or foodbanks.

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you for visiting my blog. I love it when you leave a comment so please feel free to have your say. Have a great day! Margaret xx