RECIPES

Saturday 27 June 2020

Dehydrating Onions

It was not a pleasant experience, standing for nearly an hour in the kitchen with tears streaming down my face – onions make me cry!



Hubby and I purchased a dehydrator not that long before he died.  We dried corn and celery, but since then it has sat in storage and lately in a cupboard.

When I found onions on special at the supermarket I decided it was time to try out the dehydrator again.

The onions were peeled and sliced into 5mm thin rings and laid out on the trays.  I didn’t need to pre-treat them in any way, which was a bonus.



I set the machine at 50 degrees Celsius, the recommended temperature for vegetables, and dried them for ten hours (turning them over after four hours). 

The house absolutely reeked of onions when I first started, but the smell lessened as they dried – or perhaps we just got used to it!



They then sat overnight before I dried them a further three hours, by which time they had become crisp and brittle enough to crumble in my fingers.



Once the onion rings were cold I bagged them up and used a heat-sealing gadget to remove all the air.

It was a bit tricky deciding on when to bag them.  I wanted them completely cold so that they wouldn’t sweat in the bag, but I also didn’t want them sitting in the open and possibly absorbing moisture from the surrounding atmosphere.  Hopefully I got the timing right.

This bag contains about 500g (one pound) of fresh onions, dehydrated and ready to use.



 I tried eating one of the rings.  It still had the pungency of onion (although not as strong) and was amazingly sweet.

It might make a good snack to chase away colds!

Margaret J




18 comments:

  1. I would have been starving...smelling onions makes me hungry any time I smell them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So would you say that about 5 pounds of onions dried down to one pound?
    I use my dehydrator mainly for apples come Fall. I'd like to try some other things but so far I seem unmotivated to try.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I started off with around three pounds of onions (it was just under 1.5kg). Years ago I dried apple rings and they made delicious snacks - I'll have to try that again.

      Delete
  3. I have never tried dehydrating onions. I bought mine for persimmons when we had a lot of them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My word that's hard core. F would not be without her dehydrator - it has been around the world with her - fruit primarily (bananas and mangoes being the household favs) - tomatoes, apricots of course, cherries recently, fruit leathers, meat and fish, but never onions. Friends of hers tried drying a bucket full of lemon juice once. They ended up with half a cup of flakes of the most intense lemon flavour you could imagine. That exercise must have been a bit like making salt from sea water.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Maybe you could batter and fry them? Onion rings are yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I got rid of my dehydrator I found it very expensive to run as it took so long to do, the items I was doing could be frozen and as we have 2 freezers we have the space. My brother now uses it for some of his supplies for his 3D printer.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is a large dehydrator! Love that you used it for onions - it well could be a good way to stave off colds, to eat the dried onion. I love roasted onions because they are so sweet too.
    Stay safe
    Blessings
    Maxine

    ReplyDelete
  8. I never tried onions like that. We only make beef jerky with it.
    Actually I nearly forgot about the machine...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello, I do not have a dehydrator. My eyes would be hurting from the onions. Enjoy your day, happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ten hours in the machine seems like a lot of energy to dehydrate onions. Years ago I had a friend who used to do it with fruit and whenever we went birding together he would bring a little bag for me. Delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I went and looked up the energy use. It is a 500 watt machine so would cost around 12-15 cents an hour to run (probably less as it has a thermostat). I think I can handle that :)

      Delete
  11. I’ve never dehydrated anything deliberately. Interesting though.

    ReplyDelete
  12. How would you use these dehydrated onions? Soups, stews etc?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought of soups and stews. Because they crumble well I am thinking I could also add them to things like scrambled egg and savoury scones. Time to experiment :)

      Delete
  13. Now there's something I've never tried.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have one too we used to use it to make venison jerky:)

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you for visiting my blog. I love it when you leave a comment so please feel free to have your say. Have a great day! Margaret xx