RECIPES

Wednesday 15 March 2023

My Favourite Season

 

I do love autumn.  Whoever wrote that it was a Mellow Season of Fruitfulness certainly summed it up correctly.

Harvest days are rolling to an end and most of the preserving is finished for the year (not that I do that much anymore).  The trees are starting to change colour as Nature quietly but inexorably prepares for the coming of winter.

It is probably my most favourite season for being outdoors. 

The days are still warm but not hot, the balmy air is usually quite calm, I don’t get as easily sunburnt, and there is a sort of sleepy heaviness that settles over everything.

Sometimes I love to sit outside and enjoy it all, without trying to do anything in particular.  I like to just sit and daydream – and have little Nana-Naps when nobody is looking!

I think we should rename our Deck Garden and call it the Garden of Peace, because it is so pleasant sitting out there under the blue skies.




I feel that taking time to sit and relax and enjoy our surroundings is something precious we need to cultivate.  It is the little things like that which make life more meaningful and enjoyable.

Margaret. 😊

 

15 comments:

  1. Ihope the weather allows you to enjoy the deck garden for much of the autumn, Margaret.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I couldn't agree with you more! Sitting outside in pleasant weather is wonderful. Time to relax and, as Gladys Taber put it, "think long thoughts about unanswerable questions". That's conducive to napping :)
    GM

    ReplyDelete
  3. We all need a peaceful spot in the garden, to relax, enjoy coffee, chat together, it's still cold here in UK, but soon....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Autumn in NZ also F's favorite season. There is a kind of golden glow about the quality of light especially late in the afternoons. the way you describe that calm warmth is how F remembers it too and you are right about it inducing that desire to sit and soak it up, drift a little, even nap. Your deck garden looks stunning. xxx Mr T

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your deck garden is exquisite. I would love to join you there for a nap. We could snore along together and awake with a start to contemplate anew the meaning of life. We may need many naps to come up with the answer!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am right there with you, although I like to send my time in the forest watching the wildlife and the leaves fall around me.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your deck garden is lovely, the perfect place to contemplate in the autumn sun. Lucky you

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh you're heading into my favorite time of year...enjoy it all, sit on the deck and soak it in. It looks lovely - Garden of Peace if the perfect name.

    And while I love a cool spring transition, soon will begin my love/hate relationship with summer! The humidity is so bad.. Have a good week - Take time and settle into your little corner of heaven. Mary

    ReplyDelete
  9. I really like your garden of contemplation, Margaret. I'm enjoying this time of year, too. It would be perfect if only the weeds would stop growing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. A VERY big yes to your words (for me just the season summer).
    In these hectic days it´s so important to sit and enjoy.
    I did that on travels, of course, and last summer for the first time here in Germany. It was soooo good.
    I quit training and just sat outside on our little balcony.
    To good times! xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Autumn in New Zealand was always a time of mixed emotions for me. It meant I was going back to Scotland and my Island home but I was also going back to a Scottish summer. For a decade I lived in perpetual summer. Now it feels like I'm living in perpetual winter.

    ReplyDelete
  12. A beautiful garden for all your work Margaret - Autumn is also my favourite season, although I am still cooking and freezing apples - both from out tree and some we were given...
    Blessings
    Maxine

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love to sit on my porches...Roger used to, too. Before his stroke. We often had our breakfast out there. I still sit out myself...have breakfast, or have a snack...and sit and read. That is one thing I miss so much in winter.

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you for visiting my blog. I love it when you leave a comment so please feel free to have your say. Have a great day! Margaret xx