RECIPES

Thursday 9 March 2023

Yuccas Gone

 

I visited a dear friend today and discovered she had men in her garden!  They were there to cut down and remove three yucca trees that had grown too big for the garden. 

What sticky sappy things they are, with sharp points on their leaves, and I could see why a super-sharp chainsaw and thick gloves were the order of the day.

It took less than an hour to complete the job, and my friend was pleased to have them gone.




I also visited the garden centre and purchased some primulas and violas for a winter/spring display.  We have been reorganising our decking area and my old container garden is making way for an easier-to-care-for row of pots.

I will have to show a picture when the plants have been potted up.

Time now for a much needed cup of tea 😊

Margaret.

 

14 comments:

  1. I want men in my garden. And a garden! 😉
    Here we have snow again and I so want to plant wildflowers on teh balcony. I don´t see that coming soon - so I just look forward to your pics!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yukkas grow really fast. Primulas and violas are much better garden plants.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We have wild yuccas all over our property but they are much like a low growing cactus rather than a tree. They bloom every couple of years and are very beautiful when they do

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think plants in their natural environment always "behave" and look good. Yes, I like their blooms too :)

      Delete
  4. Yukkas are very dangerous. We had the ne in a pot which grew huge and threatened to poke your eye out everytime you passed. It was on a stairway . Small Greek houses are not places for yukkas. But they grew so easily!
    I'm going to buy some spring flowers too. We need colour

    ReplyDelete
  5. If you find men in her garden that's one thing, men in her bedroom might be something else!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, that might have made me look at her twice!!

      Delete
  6. It is strange to see such big Yukkas, we only know them as indoor pot plants!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It must have been interesting to watch the proceedings with your friend. Enjoy the weekend, Margaret.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Who in NZ needs a yucca when we have cabbage trees?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed Tigger. Cabbage trees are beautiful, but garden centres love to promote "fashion" plants and so folk buy trees/plants that are not really suitable for their garden.

      Delete
  9. We both work hard to keep both our tree's to a smaller size, we cut it ourselves for a couple of years and then we get a tree surgeon in to get it back in shape.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've never really liked Yuccas; Pansies and Violas are more to my liking. I'm looking forward to seeing how you will arrange your containers. I'll need to do that too. Granny M

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think it would be wonderful to have some men in my garden doing the hard, especially on my back, work.
    Yes pots are much easier to care for. But you do need to make sure to water then regularly

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you for visiting my blog. I love it when you leave a comment so please feel free to have your say. Have a great day! Margaret xx