RECIPES

Sunday 12 March 2023

Rat Babies

 

The newest additions to our household have arrived from the breeder.  They are about six weeks old and Son has named them Silver and Storm.


Silver and Storm in the nursery cage


They have a cage to themselves until the older rats get used to them.  The cages are placed beside each other and there is a lot of nose twitching and general excitement between the two. 

A couple of days eating the same foods and they will smell alike and the older ones will accept their presence and adopt them into their Mischief.


Silver investigating a snooze site


Son will still supervise them the first few times he puts the young ones into the main cage.  Rats are very communal and quite loving towards each other, so older ones seldom offer harm to young ones in the same group.

They are more like to get upset because the very active young ones are zooming around the cage and the older ones find it tiring just watching them (not so very different to grandparents!).


Son introduces Storm to me (as close as I got!)


Hope everyone is having a great weekend 😊

Margaret.

 


 

15 comments:

  1. What cute 'babies' Margaret - at least to look at!! Hopefully all will work out smoothly with the integration process. I can identify with your 'grandparent' comment :)
    Blessings
    Maxine

    ReplyDelete
  2. I suspect that many who think having rats as pets is curious, and even a little sinister, would express no such sentiments when it comes to white mice, guinea pigs and hamsters. I can imagine that rats would be quite interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are quite intelligent and each one displays a unique personality, so I find them rather fascinating. I just don't like handling them! :)

      Delete
  3. The rat adults do sound like us humans when it comes to younger ones!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aawwww. Very pretty colour. F says she might even stroke one if someone else was holding it like that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We did the same thing when introducing a new horse to the herd. Better safe than sorry!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cute little faces and fun names! That's how we introduce new chicks to the older ones...side by side so they can "meet" but no direct contact. Hope the weekend is going well...we "enjoy" daylight savings time here (still not sure I'm supporting it) and have lost an hour of sleep, so today is groggy. Does New Zealand do the same?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, we do have daylight saving. It is due to end early next month, but I am hanging out for it now I am getting up in the dark every morning.

      Delete
  7. Rats are definitely not my thing but my daughter has 3 in a huge cage in her room, they are cute but I'm still not going to touch them.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like the names your son chose for the new babies. GM

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congrats on the new family members! They are cute and I like their names. Growing up on a farm, we did everything to get rid of rats and I've never considered them as pets. One of our cats 'gifted' me a dead rat yesterday morning, I said 'no thank you' and got it in the bin after he lost interest. No daylight saving here. It was tried for one year, but it didn't work out as they thought, I think, never heard more about it and why.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I grew up the same way - which is probably why I still won't handle them (I will stroke them now, so that is a lot more than I used to do). Son keeps reminding me that domestic rats are completely different to wild rats, as a lot of the "wildness" has been bred out of them.

      Delete
  10. I hope the introductions work out well. I know how the older ones feel when there are youngsters zooming around the place. That takes a fair bit of adjustment.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ohhhh, what a cute post! Count Aunties in, too, when my Nieces were young, boy were they exhausting!

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you for visiting my blog. I love it when you leave a comment so please feel free to have your say. Have a great day! Margaret xx

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.