RECIPES

Sunday 5 March 2023

Fig Jam

 

Much as I adore fresh figs, I have to confess that I love fig jam even more. 

After being given fresh figs the other day I decided to weigh them and found there was a fraction under 500g – just enough to make a couple of pots of jam.

After cutting the stalk end off, I chopped the figs into small pieces and left them to soak overnight with the juice of ½ lemon (abut 2 Tbsp) and 175g of white sugar mixed through them.




This morning I measured out 50g preserved ginger, diced it finely, and added it to the figs. 

The next step was to make up a syrup of ½ cup hot water and 175g white sugar in a big saucepan.

Once the sugar was dissolved I tipped in all of the fig and ginger mixture, stirred well, and brought it to the boil.  A rapid boil of 15-20 minutes and a lot of stirring (it was beginning to stick to the pan), and my jam was setting.

My recipe said boil for 30-40 minutes, but because I had halved the amounts I didn’t expect it to take that long.  However, I’m not sure 15 minutes would be long enough to preserve it properly – but then decided it didn’t really matter because the jam won’t need to last very long (both sons love it as well).




I ended up with two and a half 250ml jars of jam.  As you can see, I recycle my jars.  Sometimes labels come off quite easily, but not these ones! 

The jam still tastes good, regardless of the label 😊

Margaret.

 

20 comments:

  1. Mmmm sounds lovely. I've made fig jam before and it wasn't appreciated by most of the family but I may try again, in August when the figs are ripe. The preserved ginger would really give it a zing. Pity we can't find it here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You could try using ground ginger - the ginger taste isn't that noticeable, it just adds a nice depth.

      Delete
  2. I love figs straight from the tree. The fact that you added ginger (which I love) enticed me towards the jam but in reality I almost never eat jam of any sort.

    As always I love your header photo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I eat a lot less jam now than I used to - mainly because I no longer eat a lot of bread! My boys will soon eat these two little jars.

      Delete
  3. I love figs in all forms, too. I made fig jam some time ago from dried figs. Fresh is better but we rarely get them around here. The season is literally a couple of weeks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fresh figs for sale is a rare thing here too. I've never tried dried fig jam - I should do I suppose because we do get them here most of the year.

      Delete
  4. Interesting. I have never had fig jam, in fact, I am not sure I have ever had fig anything!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have no idea what you are missing out on Jim LOL

      Delete
  5. Years ago I knew of a fig tree that grew in an isolated spot on the side of a very quiet country road. Many times the birds beat me to them but I gathered enough to make lots of fig jam. Haven't had any since. Now I'm wondering if the tree is still there, they do live for a long time, I think. And that tree is only about an hour's drive from here.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sorry, Margaret, I've done it again and forgotten to identify myself. Pauline

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your fig jam looks good. We go through quite a bit of jam in a week . I try not to put much sugar into it so it definitely has to be kept in the fridge but since it doesn't stay around long it doesn't matter. Granny M

    ReplyDelete
  8. As far as I know I have never had fig jam, but there is nothing better than fresh figs. Unfortunately they cost a king's ransom. Years ago we stayed with friends in southern France and they had a fig tree in their garden and we could nibble on a fig whenever we wished - and we did!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks incredible.. reminds we of the days my mom would make plum jam and I had the job of squeezing out the pits.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh that sounds good - thanks for sharing the recipe. It reminds me of a jam I just picked up (it made me laugh, so I had to) it's called FROG jam - Fig Raspberry Orange & Ginger...can't wait to try it, although homemade is always best - yours won't last long! Mary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. With a name like that, children would find it irresistable!

      Delete
  11. You are very blessed to have so much fruit, I think it's the texture I don't really like, I find it weird but good you're enjoying it

    ReplyDelete
  12. Not my favourite fruit, but glad you were given some and could make the most of them! I haven't made jam for years, but then I don't really eat it these days... I used to make it for the family, rather than myself.
    Blessings
    Maxine

    ReplyDelete
  13. This looks so good, Margaret. I have never had fresh figs, though I love the dried ones! I love the chopped in salads.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I used to can and freeze food, and mom mad jams and jellies, but that is the one thing I have never did. This sounds so good.

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you for visiting my blog. I love it when you leave a comment so please feel free to have your say. Have a great day! Margaret xx

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.