RECIPES

Friday 17 March 2023

Ginger and Pickles

 

A friend and I went to Cambridge yesterday and visited some thrift stores while there. 

I haven’t done this activity for quite a few months now, and was surprised (and mildly horrified) at how much prices had increased. 

Selling secondhand donated goods helps raise money for charities, but also helps those who can’t afford to buy things new.  Unfortunately, or so it seems to me, the emphasis has now shifted to the raising money part of the equation and I feel sorry for those who are struggling to make ends meet.

My friend and I both managed to find a couple of little things to bring home.  I liked the small white and blue china lady, and am always on the lookout for beads to add to my collection. 

I find many wine glasses today are too big, and these glasses are perfect for holding the regulation one-serve 100ml serving of wine – they are elderly glasses and have quite a different feel to them compared to today’s glass.




I especially loved this Beatrix Potter collectable.  It is a little shop that was operated by Ginger and Pickles (a cat and dog respectively) in one of the Potter books.




We have rain showers here today and are expecting thunderstorms tomorrow.  It’s a good day for puttering around inside and finding homes for my new little treasures.

Have a great day 😊
Margaret.

 

17 comments:

  1. I agree with you Margaret - the prices in so-called charity shops have skyrocketed, so it must be difficult for those truly in need to even buy there. I have found a way around that - I now put things directly on the free local site that's part of Facebook. Yes the charity misses out but I hope it helps where it's needed most.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the wine glass. They look as though they'd definitely improve the enjoyment of any wine!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't like it when you have a big glass and they fill it, we do use bigger glasses here, but only have a small amount in. We have started using our best things as daughter won't want them, so it does not matter if anything gets broken.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It always seem a shame to have beautiful things and not use them, so I hope you get to enjoy them :)

      Delete
  4. Here thrift stores have become the playground of the upper middle class seeming to want to prove their virtue. One goes there to see a BMW parked next to a Lexus, and while no one should eschew secondhand goods, it seems that people who really need these places are deprived of much of it, especially if their bus is running late. Miriam and I go there - she for sheets etc which she uses to remake into kerchiefs and other items for her ETSY shop, and I to check out the books. Usually, I come away empty-handed, but once in a while I find a gem.

    ReplyDelete
  5. When I read your title, I was thinking of "That does not sound like a good combination". But then it all made sense. We go to thrift stores occasionally and have found that some are still reasonable, while others are way too proud of the items they are trying to sell.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We also enjoy thrifting. I don't buy new clothes anymore, when there are so many fit things to wear that are second hand. Your lil' house is adorable!
    We have rain predicted today here in North Carolina, and it is always a great excuse to get some organizing done. Enjoy your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those glasses are mint. F buys all her wine glasses at charity shops too - partly because barely a month goes by when she doesn't break one. Long ago she decided to always set her table with a complete set of mismatched everything - plates cutlery, glassware - and simply replace whatever got broken with whatever was available. Result: thems that want big plates or glasses get 'em, and thems that want bowls or small plates, or a spoon instead of a fork, or a tumbler instead of a stem glass, get what they desire as well. And F gets to have a 'working' collection of all the random plates and things that she took a fancy to in charity shops.

    ReplyDelete
  8. We had rain all afternoon yesterday...not durecwhen it stopped. And cold today...

    I would love to.have a day to.go to.thrift shops...or even just to look at thrift stores. It looks like your visit was successful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One day things will return to a bit more normal life Rose, and then you will go thrifting again :) xx

      Delete
  9. We had rain and a thunderstorm yesterday but it was well needed and today we have blue skies with fine weather again. the 2nd hand shops here are pretty average except for the vintage one I discovered.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The wine glasses are very pretty ( although smallish :) I like the little BP shop. That's a treasure. Browsing thrift stores is fun and one never knows just what will appeal. I haven't noticed that the prices have risen over here but it may happen any day. GM

    ReplyDelete
  11. I don't particularly like 'thrifting', but have recently started working in a local Op Shop, and am loving it!! Great finds there Margaret, especially the gorgeous glasses
    Blessings
    Maxine

    ReplyDelete
  12. Pretty wine glasses! I don't need anything else but I do enjoy visiting thrift shops:)

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you for visiting my blog. I love it when you leave a comment so please feel free to have your say. Have a great day! Margaret xx